• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tai Chi In Upcoming Literature

Here is a title I saw in my local bookstore that might be of some interest to you: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Combat-Techniques-of-Taiji-Xingyi-and-Bagua/Lu-Shengli/e/9781583941454/?itm=2

It seemed to be pretty comprehensive, and focused on some combat applications of the internal styles.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm all set for seeing what kind of moves would be done and how it would be applied. Now I need to move onto everything else.

For example, is there a good video in existence that shows a real, full-contact fight featuring a Tai Chi master and someone of a well known external style like Muay Thai? Locating something like that would be extremely helpful.

In the first book, Aaron's right arm is broken just over his elbow joint. In the original version of the story, his arm being broken relocates Triple Warmer-13 and stops normal chi flow through that arm so he can't use certain techniques anymore. I have to check with a real person and see if things like that are possible. And if they are, if there's anything about the points or location of the break that I need to change.

Also, the Aaron character is known for using dim-mak techniques that cause temporary peristalsis. In the third book, at the end of his first fight with the character David, he uses a technique that paralyzes his legs temporarily (and as an added humiliation, causes him to void his bowels) by jamming his fingers through David's center of gravity. Somewhere in the general area of Kidney-11. The move was inspired by the move done by the character wearing the purple suit between :14 and :16 of this video (Street Fighter Alpha's Gen character was half of the inspiration for my series' Aaron character, Aaron is known for having a lot of similar fighting strategies to Gen. If you watch the whole video, you'll get a sense for the way Aaron fights. Though I think Gen uses advanced Mantis style). Similar to the paragraph before this one, I need to check up on the possibility and accuracy so that when I get to that actual part in the story, it's as accurate and realistic as possible.