• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tai Chi In Upcoming Literature

Don't worry about it. It didn't seem rude to me at all.

I like the idea about training with a Tai Chi group. I'll look around and try to find one. I know that there was one training outside of the college building all the time but as the weather got colder they dissappeared. I wonder if they temporarily disbanded or relocated inside.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that there are some clips on YouTube of some combat Tai Chi. They show the guy doing the Tai Chi moves against an attacking opponent. You might try a search like that in YouTube to get a head start on your ideas.

That was an interesting search. It was kind of helpful but not ultra helpful.

Next semester in college I'll be taking Tai Chi for physical education credits :lol: Hopefully the teacher will know stuff about it.

Try looking at these for Tai Chi applications:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XabhNyfqVGk

The first one's particularly good as its the applications for the 24 form which most people learn (and probably yourself if you do it at college). Its probably best to go train in it yourself as to understand the finer points you need to really be practicing it.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Those were very helpful in showing what the moves that Aaron might do during a fight.

There are a few questions I have that are more difficult to answer.

For example, is there a good video in existence that shows a real, full-contact fight featuring a Tai Chi master and someone of a well known external style like Muay Thai? Locating something like that would be extremely helpful.

In the first book, Aaron's right arm is broken just over his elbow joint. In the original version of the story, his arm being broken relocates Triple Warmer-13 and stops normal chi flow through that arm so he can't use certain techniques anymore. I have to check with a real person and see if things like that are possible. And if they are, if there's anything about the points or location of the break that I need to change.

Also, the Aaron character is known for using dim-mak techniques that cause temporary peristalsis. In the third book, at the end of his first fight with the character David, he uses a technique that paralyzes his legs temporarily (and as an added humiliation, causes him to void his bowels) by jamming his fingers through David's center of gravity. Somewhere in the general area of Kidney-11. The move was inspired by the move done by the character wearing the purple suit between :14 and :16 of this video (Street Fighter Alpha's Gen character was half of the inspiration for my series' Aaron character, Aaron is known for having a lot of similar fighting strategies to Gen. If you watch the whole video, you'll get a sense for the way Aaron fights. Though I think Gen uses advanced Mantis style). Similar to the paragraph before this one, I need to check up on the possibility and accuracy so that when I get to that actual part in the story, it's as accurate and realistic as possible.

For example, is there a good video in existence that shows a real, full-contact fight featuring a Tai Chi master and someone of a well known external style like Muay Thai? Locating something like that would be extremely helpful.

I think you'd find it very hard to find a video like that. Tai Chi isn't exactly something that would work well in competition because the majority of it is just redirecting with little striking or moves that would bring about a submission.

By the way, just outta interest, what style of Tai Chi will your character use? There are slight nuances between styles which could affect how he fights.

Found some more videos:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vnIvfIaKFJ4

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I don't know enough about individual sects of Tai Chi to be able to determine that. If it makes a difference, I could add it to my list of questions to consult someone about.

The first two videos I have already seen.

The third one was helpful.