• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tai Chi In Upcoming Literature

Greetings, members of Karateforums.

I just recently started working on the first book of a five-book series.

In the book, one of the more powerful characters, Aaron Gregory, is a young expert in Tai Chi. In the chapter introducing him, he beats his instructor in a push hands competition at the age of fifteen.

In the future, more complex and higher level Tai Chi techniques will be used by Aaron in combat situations. This is great, but I don't know anything about sed techniques.

This is where I need your help. If you know a lot about Tai Chi and it's techniques or if you are a knowledgeable Tai Chi practitioner, I would like to get into e-mail or instant messenger contact with you so that when I have questions, I can ask someone who may know the answer. This is purely for the purpose of character development and style accuracy. I wouldn't want to overplay or sell the style short.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't help you in that department but I did want to say congratulations and good luck! Sounds like it's going to be an interesting read ! :)

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

I certainly hope it is. It took me two months to develop all the characters and I'm still falling short. Throughout the series there are twenty-six different characters and they all have separate story lines and almost all of them intersect.

That's all fine and dandy you two are interested in the stories but that is aside the point! Gosh darn it! I still got one of the most powerful characters that knows one of the most complicated styles and one of the styles that I know the least about! :lol: I get the feeling this isn't going to end well.

If I knew a bit more about Tai Chi, I'd gladly help. But, anything I give you is guesswork at this point. However, I hope you do find some advise. Have you checked websites, to see if you can contact any master that way?

I have. No luck so far. I do actually know someone who practices Tai Chi a lot (was the inspiration for Aaron). But me and him don't get along too well and he's a bit on the clever side he'd probably figure out Aaron was based off him. So I'd like to avoid it if at all possible. But I will keep checking for other masters online. Hopefully there's someone here who knows stuff.

I do actually know someone who practices Tai Chi a lot (was the inspiration for Aaron). But me and him don't get along too well and he's a bit on the clever side he'd probably figure out Aaron was based off him.

Brilliant!! :lol: :lol:

Well if he didn't before, he will now. :)

When I first read your post i thought that you were talking about reading a series of books, but by the sounds of it, you are writing them yes?

So if this is the case, how do you know (even before you have written the first of them) that there will be five in the series?

Surely though, if you are a professional writer, wouldn't you go to some primary source material in order to research and develop your main character?

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

The guy was the inspiration for Aaron as there was a lot of inspiration for a lot of the characters from other people. "Aaron" doesn't know because "Aaron" doesn't know about the series lol We haven't spoken in over a year.

Yes, I am writing them. I know there's five in the series because I always plan everything out when it comes to series. "Preparations", "Introductions", "Open Roads", "Spirits' Wrath", "Final Destinations." I know exactly what happens in all of them between all the characters. It took me two months of research and character development to get the basics of it all down.

I already started writing the first book and it hit me that I don't know enough about Tai Chi to get anything accurate about Aaron without guessing. Throughout the series, Aaron is not a huge character but he is important in the first and third books.

In the third book, he gets introduced to the character David who plays a much bigger role throughout the series. They fight and Aaron uses a technique on David that temporarily paralyzes him. This is the original story anyway. But it's things like that which happen with Aaron I want to try to make as accurate as possible. I don't think I'd be able to do that unless I were to actually consult with someone who knows a lot of Tai Chi. And I did do a lot of research to try to find it myself. Like I said, I'd talk to "Aaron" but we don't get along that well and he might figure out that Aaron was loosely based off of him and I'm guessing he wouldn't like that much.

The BB of C,

I owe you an apology, I have just re-read my post this morning and it comes over a bit rude. I am sorry about that it was not my intention.

So what you are saying is that you have already got 5 stories mapped out?

As far as understand Tai Chi, would it be an idea for you to train with a TC group even if it is only for few weeks. Explain to them why you are doing it, I am sure they would be more than helpful. You could always give them a credit in your book.

Just a thought.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk