• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Maintaining eye contact

I've tricked many a sparring partner in my class just by looking at an area on them (say, their stomach) that they *thought* I was going to strike when I really intended to strike elsewhere. LOL :lol:

This is why I don't like to focus on the eyes or the head. You can fake someone out easily, I think.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another thing my sensei will do to us on occasion to see if we are focused is to look off in a totally different direction. usually you can fake them out and make them look and when they do you crack them

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

We've had staring drills before however we're taught that in a self-defense situation or in class sparring that the center of the body is where your eyes should be. I think the reason is well known...(you can see the body shift more so than staring them in the eyes)

Well, each to their own of course, but I would always look toward the eyes.

Yes, maybe with "eyes that look through mountains", but in the first instant, I would be reluctant to look anywhere else. I think as combat pursues however, then you should look toward what is appropriate.

Have a look at this guy. His name is Tetsuzan Kuroda and for my money he is probably one of the best martial artists in the world today.

Look at where he is looking.. and with more at risk than just being kicked / punched.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

Eye contact is important if you were fighting an opponent, in my opinion. In order to see all of your opponent, I find it helpful to look at either two points: their eyes, or their solar plexus. If you look at either these two points, you can see with your eyes and your peripheral vision too. This way, you can see all of the opponent's body motion good enough to see something comming, instead of ''looking'' for the attack. More of an ''overview'', so to speak.

All thoughts have consequences.

In order to see all of your opponent, I find it helpful to look at either two points: their eyes, or their solar plexus. If you look at either these two points, you can see with your eyes and your peripheral vision too.

Do you scan with your eyes between these two points, Swadoryu? Instead of focusing on just one, and when fighters are in motion, it can be an added task to maintain focus on one point. Do you find yourself looking your opponent "up and down" between the eyes and the solar plexus? I concentrate on the face to upper chest area, and I've been more in tune with my peripheral vision between these points; yours are further apart, but perhaps it's because you mentioned looking for body movement (as clues--or cues).

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

In order to see all of your opponent, I find it helpful to look at either two points: their eyes, or their solar plexus. If you look at either these two points, you can see with your eyes and your peripheral vision too.

Do you scan with your eyes between these two points, Swadoryu? Instead of focusing on just one, and when fighters are in motion, it can be an added task to maintain focus on one point. Do you find yourself looking your opponent "up and down" between the eyes and the solar plexus? I concentrate on the face to upper chest area, and I've been more in tune with my peripheral vision between these points; yours are further apart, but perhaps it's because you mentioned looking for body movement (as clues--or cues).

I don't scan between these two points, but rather pick either place because I feel it is easier to do it this way and use my peripherals to scan the rest of the body, ya know? If I look at either those two points, I can see some kind of action from the opponent, and I can better look for an attack, basically what you said about clues/cues. In motion, I look at all points of the body so I can see possible openings and whatnot.

Whether you look toward the eyes or the chest area, I have read a very good analogy on vision during a fight. Where ever you look, you don't focus like a laser, but instead like a flashlight, where you can take in more of the opponent's body.

Where ever you look, you don't focus like a laser, but instead like a flashlight, where you can take in more of the opponent's body.

This is a good tip. It really is a helpful analogy; it's broader and makes where your eyes focus more useful. It's definitely not a staring contest where you're seeing eye and only eyes, because you're being too literal, "overfocused" (to coin a new word?).

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Where ever you look, you don't focus like a laser, but instead like a flashlight, where you can take in more of the opponent's body.
Yes! That is an excellent way to put it. It's a good way to visualize your opponent without worrying where a certain action is comming from.

In terms of DWx's opinion about blinking: I got a story about that, matter of fact. One night I was sparring one of the taller Senpai's, and he came in with a jab-gyaku tsuki combination. It wasn't the jab that caught my eye, but his thumbnail nicked my eye. Ha I kick myself because I wasn't quite quick enough at the time to block it, but I was quick enough to blink and avoid being cut on my eyeball, but above my eyelid. So blinking can help, hehe. But I wouldn't advise to do too much, because your opponent might be quick enough to catch you doing it and attack you, and landing that attack.