• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello! Is there any chance of learning a bit of Muay Thai by watching videos and read about it? Would that kind of learning be effective in a casual fight in the street or for one defending himself?

Thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I once heard a wise man say 'Train with a partner, practice alone'.

To be honest there's a lot of debate as to whether you can learn from books or videos, the most common opinion I've heard is that while you can refine techniques using them you actually need to know the techniques first so that you know what's being talked about.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

If you know a bit of what you are doing videos and books can help. However don't think you can watch one or read one and be good. You need a teacher but if thats all you got then hey.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

It's possible to learn some techniques from a book, because I've done it(fortunately I did the technique correctly), but if you do it wrong there is no one to correct you. I doubt you can learn the whole art from a book or video though, and who would sparr with you and give you advice? But like G95champ said, if that's all you got then, well I'd say go for it. :grin:

Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures. - Dalai Lama

==========================

*I am Hiya, just changed my name*