• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ten shin kan?

kaster

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
So I went to a karate academy today and it seems like my schedule can only handle Ten shin kan. Never heard of it though. What is it?

I would have to see the Kanji, but I guess it sort of means the truthfull way.

Ten = Code or law.

The word Shin in Japanese budo usually implies heart or truth / truthfull.

Kan is another word for house / style / way.

Sounds more like a club name to me than a style though.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

. . . Ten shin kan. Never heard of it though. What is it?

I'm surprised someone at the karate school didn't try to explain it to you, Kaster. Part of sales is to promote the product, not leave the prospective customer--in this case, someone who came by to examine what was offered--wondering what the product is.

Wa-No-Michi took the words apart, and it sounds more like a club to him. That's like me saying I'm studying Moo Duk Kwan, which translates from the Korean as "Institute of Martial Virtue." It's not a martial art; the art is Soo Bahk Do and falls under the Moo Duk Kwan.

Did you speak with an instructor, Kaster, or a student who just wanted you to come back later? :-?

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I haven't heard of it before, but there are a lot of different school and affiliation names out there. I'd ask about some lineage or the like, and you might be able to see where it came from. The instructors should be more than happy to share this information with you.

I'm with the others. I haven't heard of it. That dosn't make it bad, it just means it could be a small in numbers form. It could be a club or an affiliation, again, it dosn't make it bad.

What's important is it's effectiveness. IF you check it out and it's working for you then go for it. If you want to know the lineage, ask the instructor or one of the senior students. Most people can't help but want to tell people how their stuff came to be.

Now, if the instructor is being evasive about the origin of the art, and you're looking at the skill level of everyone there and they couldn't fight their way ot of a wet paperbag, then you should strat to question if you're getting a straight story.

... and you're looking at the skill level of everyone there and they couldn't fight their way ot of a wet paperbag, then you should strat to question if you're getting a straight story.

Trouble is, if you are relatively new to ma, how would you know whether they are good bad, or indifferent? There's a lot of smoke a mirrors being used out there!!! :o

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

IF you check it out and it's working for you then go for it. . . .

If there's no contract, and if there are free lessons first (my instructor gives the first two weeks for free to make certain the student likes what karate's about), then there's no harm in giving it a try. The first month likely tells you a lot about continuing.

Now, if the instructor is being evasive about the origin of the art . . .

It's best to show up with an index card (it fits right in your pocket and is nothing to be embarrassed about pulling out) of any questions that are on your mind, including the roots of the art.

An instructor being evasive about anything is a red flag to me.

I don't think we want to "condemn" this dojo before Kaster returns, but going to any martial arts school means watching a class, being given info without asking, feeling free to ask questions--and having them answered.

The instructor is the best source for most questions/explanations, which is why I'm under the impression you spoke with a student, Kaster. It's best to return when the instructor is available; phone ahead of time, and you'll likely be able to watch a class as well.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Wa-no, I agree with you. Tons of junk out there being masked as combative. The best bet is to use common sense. If it looks like junk, it probibly is. Sharp, crisp, effective, common sense will go a long way. But you're right, sometimes it's tuff.

I agree with joe, ask everything you want up front. Don't be ashamed a bit. You are a consumer, you have the right to know what you're getting in to.

Ah, I just got back from my first Karate lesson and I didn't have to ask to make sensei tell me what Ten Shin Kan is. It's Karate, grapples/takedowns/throws, and weapons (First is stick(long one) to something I forgot the name of). So that's a cool style for me....

and thanks KF :D

It's Karate, grapples/takedowns/throws, and weapons . . .

This makes sense. An art we haven't even heard of till now, but it has a bit of everything we've pressed should be taught/learned in order to have a well-rounded MA experience.

Yep. Makes sense. Not to me, but it makes sense.

So that's a cool style for me....

Kaster, it's a cool style in my book, too.

:karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu