• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Learning from our Students

karateronin

Yup I do know Spooky Dog.

Mr King - feel free, I'm game for anything LOL

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In our school you have to be at least 3rd Dan to be a teacher.

So if someone that has reached third Dan level and knows less than his tudents, something has gone seriously wrong in his training.

We all have something to learn but I would assume those that take the role of teacher ought to know alot more and be alot more skilled than their students.

Thats my take on it anyway.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

We do not always learn martial arts skills from our students but sometimes life skills.

Skills such as paitience, perseverance, humility, joy, sadness, all these and many other skills are learnt through the martial arts lessons. Sometimes students and instructors dont realise this and never acknowledge these skills have come from their training.

Last night Mr Reece jnr told me he gave a presentation at college and because of skill in using a computer and his skill of teaching others (martial arts students) he gave the best presentation.

I learnt from Mr Reece jnr that I have a purpose in life. That pupose is to help others gain these skills through our martial arts programs.

Steve Leak 3rd Dan

Chief Instructor

Owner Karate International

Black Belt Schools (UK)

karateronin is the Chief Instructor of Karate International Black Belt Schools UK.

hiya guys!

Studens r important in a club

I mean i often ask Bob, r u shure? And , well if we do i like this...

I thin itsa god way t express how ufel bout the art too!!!

cya

s.d

HIYA TOBIAS-HOW U DOING?

Don't just do Aikido-perform it, feel it...dance it!!!

Spooky dog-jr blue

BAA

Another point to consider here is that the best martial artists do not always make the best coaches. Just because you have a great skill does not mean you can develop it in others. I do not cosider myself a great martial artist, I have reached a good standard but I am still learning , but I have better skills in coaching and motivating others. Being a good coach is more than gaining knowledge it is knowing how to use and apply it, and being an eternal student yourself.

2nd Dan Black Belt Karate 1st Dan Brithai

Cardio Kickboxing Coach and Professional fitness trainer based in Cambridgeshire England

Yea exactly, you can really relate and be able to help others learn the material, but you don't have to be so competent yourself physically BUT, as I posted in another area on this forum, does this work the other way around?

Is there really such a thing as a competent martial artist that can't teach or help others learn? Before everyone answers 'oh of course, duh duh duh' I dunno just try to think about it. If you were really a master of your craft and confident and superior in both understanding (the ideology and concepts) as well as the physical muscle memory portion, why would you not be able to pass on your knowledge and information? Unless you are antisocial or just hate talking to people or interacting with people (in which case you should not have tried to become a teacher in the first place, IMHO), I don't see how a true proficient in a certain m/a would not be able to explain, break down the steps, or identify with a student who is growing in the art.

Just my two cents :smile:

'Conviction is a luxury for those on the sidelines'

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'

I believe teaching is an acquired skill just like martial arts skills. :smile:

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing