• Shureido
    • Juka
    • Tokon
    • Kamikaze
    • Ronin
    • Adidas
    • Century
    • KI Intl

I love the my Tokon Europa but if I am competing in Kumite I have to go with either a Tokon Dynamic or an Adidas Master Gi.

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite Karate gi is the Century Iron Man. I own two of them, but I mostly wear them for tournaments, testing, seminars, etc. For the price, it is not a bad gi.

However, for my regular dojo training, I usually wear a 10 oz. Century brushed cotton gi. I own two of them, as well.

My favorite Karate gi is the Century Iron Man. . . .

However, for my regular dojo training, I usually wear a 10 oz. Century brushed cotton gi.

Past and present, it's been a problem for me to find the right size gi/dobak. By clicking on the links Fu Man provided, size charts come up. Sure enough, as my height is 5'6", size four is what I get (for 5'6" to 5'11"). But when it comes to the reference of Medium and Large for size four, frankly, all my shirts are large, and T-shirts & sweatshirts are XL. So should I get a size five? Then there's the bodyweight. I'm on the edge, usually 170 lbs, but I can't always stay there (e.g., my present weight is 180 lbs). (BTW, it's all muscle. :wink: )

These sizes really seem to go by height, and then you go to the tailor for sleeve and leg lengths. I've wondered if I shouldn't go for size five, and see if the tailor can make it look decent on me (that I'm not wearing a tent).

What do others do who might also have a husky (I'm avoiding saying "stocky") build like me? :-?

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

However, for my regular dojo training, I usually wear a 10 oz. Century brushed cotton gi.

Past and present, it's been a problem for me to find the right size gi/dobak. By clicking on the links Fu Man provided, size charts come up. Sure enough, as my height is 5'6", size four is what I get (for 5'6" to 5'11"). But when it comes to the reference of Medium and Large for size four, frankly, all my shirts are large, and T-shirts & sweatshirts are XL. So should I get a size five? Then there's the bodyweight. I'm on the edge, usually 170 lbs, but I can't always stay there (e.g., my present weight is 180 lbs). (BTW, it's all muscle. :wink: )

These sizes really seem to go by height, and then you go to the tailor for sleeve and leg lengths. I've wondered if I shouldn't go for size five, and see if the tailor can make it look decent on me (that I'm not wearing a tent).

What do others do who might also have a husky (I'm avoiding saying "stocky") build like me? :-?

I determine my sizes first by the weight range, then the height range. If a person's weight is greater than the weight range, he or she will not be able to wear the gi. However, if the weight range is appropriate and the height range is at or more than the person's height, he or she can always have the gi tailored.

In my opinion and from my experience, for Century gi uniforms, a size 5 is the appropriate choice, based on the information provided.

Almost all of my uniforms have been tailored. For me, usually the jackets are fine, but the pants are too long. (I'm a little husky, by the way, too :D )

Joe, I feel your pain; I am the same. I have found that I have to buy larger sizes, and then hem and taylor to suit. I usually go with an 8, for the leg room. Then, its off to the dry cleaners for tayloring.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, well in my old Taekwondo days I used an Adidas. I don't recall it being the best gi I've ever owned but it served its purpose well.

Otherwise for BJJ and Judo I've used gi's not on the list : (

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

If you guys get a good tournament cut gi like juka offers there is no need to tailor the uni. Also its tournament cut pant is extremely loose so much so I nearly get my leg stuck in it.

If you guys havent tried juka try the 10oz. dragon brand tournament cut. Its only like $75 bones and its really like a 12oz. Very good quality for the money. Side note too they have told me that they actually manufcater the tokon gis.

• 2 months later...