• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"A-11" Football Formation

joesteph

I'm not someone who's got a football background, but if someone says the players are in a T-formation, I know where/how they're set up. In today's (October 17) New York Times, right on the front page, is that a high school in California changed its formation to an A-formation, so that every member of the team can be considered eligible to catch the ball.

A question is whether this new formation is an evolution of the game or an unfair advantage for the offense that uses it. It also, though, eliminates the need for players who weigh 300+ lbs, as the game is more fluid.

The NY Times URL is http://www.nytimes.com

and the article is titled "Even the Referees Don't Know Who's Who."

Is anyone familiar with this new formation? What do you think about this change in the game?

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It sounds like a loop hole in the rules has allowed this to be possible, and there is the chance that it may get the rules altered. Perhaps not.

It is an interesting offense, for sure. But, I don't see it taking at the college and pro levels, because of the rules differences. I would also think that the offense would be terribly susecptible to blitzing, if a defense is willing to take that chance.

From the article:

By placing one of the quarterbacks at least seven yards behind the line of scrimmage, and no one under center to receive the snap, the A-11 qualifies as a scrimmage kick formation — the alignments used for punts and extra points. Thus interior linemen are granted an exception from having to wear jersey numbers 50 through 79. . . . Any player wearing jersey numbers 1 through 49 and 80 through 99 is potentially eligible to receive a pass.

One of my teacher friends, who loves to follow just about every sport, explained this to me, and concluded that its use would generate higher scores each game, as defense would have to plan against a greater number of variables.

Maybe that makes for a more exciting game? :D

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu