• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are True Mixed Martial Arts Fighters?

A lot of guys claim to be MMA fighters. They train at striking schools and grappling schools which is definitly needed. Training one and leaving out the other will leave you finished in the cage/ring. However how many actually spar mixing the two.Sparring striking at your Thai, Karate etc and grappling at your Jiu Jitsu, Judo gyms is one thing, but how many actually spar mixing it all up.

A lot of people DO spar mixing it but ive noticed thats lots also dont. They spar striking and grappling seperatly and think they shall be able to cope in an MMA match. However this is not the case. By mixing it up it makes striking and grappling a little different as strikers have to be weary of possible takedowns and grapplers need to be weary of striking on the ground. Without expereince of all of this is it fair to call yourselves true MMA fighters?

https://www.markstraining.com Fighting and Training Methods for Unarmed Martial Artists.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First off, integration is key to whatever it is that you are doing. Training both ground and stand up is good, but without a transtion game thru the clinch and takedown, as well as utalizing striking from the ground, it becomes less than fully effective.

For a more sd aspect. You should also be training that which I list above as well as alternative methods of striking (eye gouges and such), small joint manip, and weapons. Again, transitions need to be trained, often thru spontaneous drills, to be fully effective.

As for what one calls himself, it really dosen't matter to me. For my opinion, if you train in mma but haven't fought, then you train mma. If you've ever stepped into the ring, to comete under rules wich allow both standup and ground fighting as well as striking from the ground, in a full contact context, then you're had an mma fight. If you've done it multiple times, then you're an mma fighter. If you've done it and don't compete anymore (my case) then you used to fight mma.

It' s probibly nit picking, but it just aleviates confusion about what you do. None of them are bad or less worthy of consideration by any stretch of the imagination.

I agree that training the transitions is one of the keys to successfully being a "Mixed Martial Artist." I've never really put a lot of thought into how I would classify myself, but I wouldn't say that I am a Mixed stylists, but a stylist that practices several styles.

The transitions we're talking about means moving between standing and ground, the takedown game.

It, in my mind, also means moving between different tactical tools given changing situations of combat.

Single teachers or schools that have a well rounded program should be doing this already. If your studying at two different schools, you're going to have to lean towards whichever instructor is able to help you put the two or more together into a useful format.

Also, if you look into the RBSD realm, an additional transition would be that from standing or clinching to clearing away to upgrade to weapon deployment (I threw that in just for you, tallgeese :D).

Everything has advantages and disadvantages.

If you do them separately, you get to master each one. If you do them together you get to master the transitions.

If you do them together on the other hand, like was said, each will try to go into the best territory. (Top, bottom, clinch, inside, outside, etc.)

I would break up the class into 3 parts. A part standing, one part on the ground and one part both. Oh wait? How would the transition defense and offense would be worked on?

If you do them separately, you get to master each one. If you do them together you get to master the transitions. . . .

A good observation, which leads logically to your approach:

I would break up the class into 3 parts. A part standing, one part on the ground and one part both.

It just shows, Vladko, that it often all boils down to the instructor; a good instructor with motivated students can whip the martial arts world. What you've suggested might be right on the mark, or it may need to be more precise, as in how much emphasis for each part. It could even depend on how well the instructor knows the strengths and weaknesses of each student.

:karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• 1 month later...

I'll add my concensus.

It seems as if everyone and their mother is an MMA fighter nowadays- I hear them all the time "Oh hey, I dont come to the bar to fight- Im an MMA fighter"

yada yada yada.

So heres how I grade them.

Training MMA is about as easy as it gets. Nothing difficult about it. Its like someone saying they "train" football, basketball, or whatever else. Just because they train in it doesnt make them good at it.

The quality of the school also has to be taken into account. Many karate and generic martial arts schools have taken advantage of the popularity of MMA and therefore have MMA programs headed by instructors who's skill level is absolute beginner at best.

Quite frankly, there are even alot of professional MMA fighters who's technique, skill, and just overall fighting ability is very poor.

So you fight MMA- great- the big question is- how successfull are you at it?