• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Homework

joesteph

Maybe, if you haven't already, you could talk to the teachers of your sons and ask why they don't get a chance to plan, since that is the whole point of homework. Besides learning about the subject, you learn how to plan things because you will need that skill when you are grown up.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Maybe, if you haven't already, you could talk to the teachers of your sons and ask why they don't get a chance to plan . . .

Since the boys are in first grade, I don't think it's a planning thing, although you're right, Shiv, that as the student grows older--and I mean as simple as hitting fourth grade, not waiting till high school--then planning or budgeting time enters in.

It seems to be that the children are continuing the lesson learned in school, not just reviewing. And, frankly, the children have plans with their families--such as the boys being with me, their father, for activities. No one is saying no homework, but it's the quantity. David's first grade teacher gives 15-20 minutes of homework for him to do, and I think that that amount is given because he's special needs, the teacher being more in tune with preventing overloading the child. Patrick's in a regular first grade class, with an aide, but brings home the same work load the others do, and it's far more than 15-20 minutes.

Last night, after 45 minutes of homework, Patrick had simply reached the limit of learning. I had started with math (I always do), then had gone on to verbal. He did written work first, then we did as much reading as I felt he was able to do when I stopped, congratulated him on finishing his homework, and wrote on the homework sheet "Had to go to bed." This is the second time I've done this. If it's not written work, I don't get "Incomplete" written by the teacher on a paper and returned to be completed, so I, a fellow teacher, have had to figure out how to "play the game."

It's so crazy that I'm talking about the work load for my first graders in an elementary school, not their first year in high school.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I'd like to better myself so my body requires less sleep. I remember reading that those with a more athletic build tend to require less sleep, although I'm active in the martial arts I'm sure there's things I can adjust to do so.

Out of 24 hours in the day I sleep for what...8...9 hours? That's a third of a day that's dedicated to uselessness because I can't take advantage of being healthier.

My friend works on 5 hours or less of sleep, manages some sports activities, a girlfriend (which must take a LOT :P ), salutatorian of a class of 148, and being active all day. I'd like to reach that level where 5 hours is the fuel I need. :karate:

The schoolwork just becomes a mental drain. I could probably yank another hour or two out of the day if I kept up with myself and simply got things done. This weekend I want to immediately adjust and try to get on track with things. :)

Sleep is different for everyone. Some require more, and some can go on less. When you function on less sleep, things can start to slip on you. You have to focus more on less.

I'd say if you can get 8, take it every time.

I'd say if you can get 8, take it every time.

This is especially true of the "growing years," which doesn't mean just babies and small children. Teenagers need their sleep, too.

If you're into something athletic/physical, no matter what age you are, be it from martial arts to weights, the body rejuvinates itself during sleep; you can actually be throwing gains away if you don't have enough sleep.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

They get homework in elementary school?! Thats insane lol, how old are you sons again Joe? Because, I first got homework when I was 12. I dont think its good to get anything when you are under 12 tbh.

They get homework in elementary school?! Thats insane lol, how old are you sons again Joe?

They're seven, Shiv. I guess it's part of American culture, and it's not a bad thing, but it's the quantity (overkill) that's my concern.

Last night, David, who has less homework each night than Patrick, was actually helping me with Patrick's reading of a story. From what I could make of it, the story was emphasized in school with David, but Patrick simply had an intro to it, and then reading it with a parent was homework. I'm sure he went on to do other things in school, but words he was having difficulty reading were ones that I was now "teaching" him, and David was helping me. But David is the one who's considered to be more in special need.

I wrote a note to the teacher about what words Patrick was having difficulty with. He has an aide in the classroom, so there's no reason why he can't be working with her to get that reading down right--in school.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu