• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

School/Teaching Method Dilemma

If I were you...

I would not join a school, if I cannot observe a class beforehand.

this is not such a strange thing in the martial arts. in many schools, this is pretty normal, depending on how traditional the teacher is. but it is also cultural, you cannot practice all customs everywhere. in my own school i have always had a class that visitors cannot attend, but when i saw where it was hurting me, i created a class that was more like what you would find in most classes. as i have been doing since 1992, i still have classes that you cannot walk in off the street to join, and definitely most of my classes there is a no spectator rule.

there are many business where you cannot "preview" the service or enjoy a "free sample". they might have a "open house" where visitors can see what you do, but you cannot come up there on your own time to "try it out". say for example a university. or a nice restaurant.

the martial arts business is very different than most businesses, where we are not falling over our feet to attract "customers". in fact, in this business, the business owner is the boss unlike most everything else. if a teacher does not allow you to view his classes (try this in toisan china, or kuala lumpur malaysia) you might miss a good opportunity to train with a real deal teacher. if you can see the teacher has good skill, and maybe you dont understand his ways, its not going to kill you to try it out.

or you can go back to the shopping center McBlack Belt Inc with the nice big mirrors & windows and convenient 2 - years plan.... :wink:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question: I personally dont see a problem with testing often, if you absorb the material quickly and can perform it (especially at the lower ranks). If you attend class on a regular basis and PRACTICE on your own, then why not move on? If you are moving on without that, I would be concerned. 2.5 years to Shodan is a bit fast in my opinion even if you are training 4-5 days a week. That would concern me as well. If I were you I'd shop around for a different school and make an informed decision. If you go to another style and have to start from scratch, big deal. Would you rather keep moving up in rank and earn a "McBlackBelt" that couldn't hold your own when needed? You should feel like youve earned a promotion and know that you've earned it. If not you should speak to your instructor. I do know that a school where there are many children may tend to soften things up a bit to maintain business.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

well i see your point. i shouldnt say against testing often, but maybe promoting so often that you have a black belt in 2 or 3 years. but i know many schools are probably not testing because people are ready, but because they charge a fee for the test.

i have students out of my area who teach, and i charge for testing those guys. but we only test a few times a year, and this fee pays my way to them. at the same time its not a lot of money either.

training here in my school, i do not charge a test when i give one.

oh, and "McBlack Belt"? lol :D i have seen a school (wont name them because i have friends over there) who brag, that they are the McDonalds of martial arts in the area. its actually on the paper script they give the salespeople (who are not martial arts people either, btw). you know whats sad, is that some of the McDojo people, dont know that they are McDojo. very sad. :P