• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Using a Head Butt (Ouch?)

When my sons were battling together against the WaveMaster we have at home, they were doing a great job of punches and kicks. Unfortunately, they got too close to one another, and their heads collided. David had been struck at the outer end of one eyebrow; Patrick did apologize, and when I saw he wasn't hurt, I had him show me where it was on his own head that he'd accidentally head-butted David. It was the corner of the forehead.

Granted, no head-butting allowed when my boys want to spar, but it brought up the head butt to me as a question to ask about. In one of the self-defense techniques in Soo Bahk Do, we're to give a head butt as the last strike. I'm not thrilled about using my head as a weapon, and though you can aim for your adversary's nose, I don't think it's always that neatly done. If I practice it against a WaveMaster, there's still a part of me that holds back, even if it's the thicker part of the forehead (that "rim" area) that strikes.

I'm sure others have been introduced to using the head butt. Have you used it other than to strike "air" or a "safe" object, such as a WaveMaster? Do you believe it's something that ought to be avoided (so you don't harm or stun yourself), or is it just another weapon in the martial arts arsenal?

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's another weapon. One that excells at certain times against certain targets and is a horribly bad choice against others.

I tend to use it more like a ramming motion rather than a snapping of the head forward. So if I'm in tight I will drop it and step in with a slight snap. The target I use is generally the orbital bones of the cheek or the thinner bones of the temple.

I choose these because the orbits are easier to fracture than other bones, and hurt quite a bit. This is likely to cause a reaction from the individual that is greater than simply hitting him in the nose. The temple, again a thin bone, are a good target because strikes there tend to produce a better likelyhood of knockout. Now, I'm not saying that you're gonna knock someone out with a head butt, that's pretty unlikely, but you can produce a mental stun out of the shot which will allow you to advance your fight.

Keeping a clear head during this kind of hting is important. To do that, mindset is critical. You've got to set your head (not literally, but that helps too) through the target. Focus past the stirke area and try to blast throu with full commital. You're actually less likely to get hurt or dizzied this way.

Yeah, it is an interesting article...but I've seen 'em work. I can't discount them as anything more or less than another tool.

Wow, Cross. That is some wicked article.

I'm obligated to perform the head butt in the self-defense technique against "air," as it's a training drill, but that's as far as I'll go with this one unless it's life-and-death.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

We've trained for them. Like tallgese, coming upward, like a ram, as you look to escape a body lock, or as your applying it for part of the lift for the throw. That's aimed at hitting more along the chin with the top about hair-line level. The nose is a common target, but the orbitals are good too. Not only do they break rather easily, you can inflict a good cut on the cheek or eye area that can help really impair the attacker's vission.

So long as you make contact with a point on the head above your own eye brow level you should be fine during a headbutt.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

When the rest of your limbs are tied up, I think its a viable option. I think using the back of the head, like when you are in a bear hug, would be one of the safer ways to do it. But striking the nose of an assailant would be a good target to hit, too, I think.

I always liked the Van Damme head butts from his movies.

On the other hand, if Hock doesn't recommend them, then he usually has good reasons why. A use it at your own risk technique, I guess. But, one man's trash is another man's treasure. Some guys out there are really hard headed. I think the style called Burmese Boxing actually allows head butting in their rings.

When the rest of your limbs are tied up, I think its a viable option. I think using the back of the head, like when you are in a bear hug, would be one of the safer ways to do it.

It's funny, but I didn't think of the back of the head as a head butt, and yet it is. I think that if you're grabbed from behind, it's almost a reflex.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu