• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Holyfield May Fight for a Title

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3633482

Evander Holyfield has accepted an offer to challenge Nikolai Valuev for his heavyweight world title, the former four-time champion told ESPN.com Wednesday night.

Holyfield (42-9-2, 27 KOs) said his attorney is reviewing a contract from Valuev promoter Sauerland Event for a fight that would take place Dec. 20 in either Germany or Switzerland.

"It's solid. They asked if I will take the fight for the offer they made and if everything is straight up, I will take that fight," Holyfield said. "My lawyer is looking at it."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does Nikolai Valuev have true championship talent, or is it his incredible size (for a boxer) that has carried him through? I don't want to take away from anyone who's in his place legitimately, but anyone against Valuev, even Holyfield, is dealing with a muscular 320-pounder.

I learned from the movie "Cinderella Man" (Russell Crowe as Jim Braddock, who defeated Max Baer), that Baer's height advantage over other fighters added greater power to his punch, especially if it came in a "whirlwind" motion. This may be working for the seven-foot Valuev as well.

Edited by joesteph

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Regardless of size, there has to be some skill present there in order to become a champion Boxer. Being big helps, I'm sure. But if he is big and skilled, then look out!