• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Beating the Teacher

my sensei did that with me, he purposly left himself open to see what I would do, afterwards, he said good job on not hesitating to hit him

I cannot prevent the wind from blowing, but I can adjust my sails to make it work for me

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes it's not wise to take the opening. I know one time when I sparred against a shodan she left her left side open with her arm up waiting for me to do a roundhpuse kick. I knew better, she was going to bring her arm down and submit me, so I did another technique instead.

In kendo during heigako(sp?) we have to be watchful of opening and preform the right strike for that opening. Sometimes the higher ranking player well test the lower rank making them perform the same strike in quick session. I learned to better take control of the match from them and set the tone for the match, it helped during promotion when I had to be aggressive in order to be evenly match with someone who otherwise would have push me around.

<3

In Karate: I never did so in front of the rest of the students. However, I regularly defeated my teacher in our private lessons. He always told me it was an honor to lose to me and that it demonstrated he did his job well.

In BJJ: I'm not able to defeat my instructor easily yet. If I were able to do so, I would follow the same etiquette as I did in Karate.

In Chuan Fa: I only got the better of Master McGinnis once. It was honestly dumb luck. Wasn't much of an issue here. I could probably beat him now. But would do so only in private.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Seems like you have a pretty good instructor then.

All I know is that my instructor back then didn't like it when I got good. The instructor that I have now likes it when I can hit him.

BB of C, that sounds like a good instructor you've got there. If he has trained you to the point that you can start beating him, then that means he has done a good job in helping you get better, and that's not something to be ashamed of :karate:

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

In Karate: I never did so in front of the rest of the students. However, I regularly defeated my teacher in our private lessons. He always told me it was an honor to lose to me and that it demonstrated he did his job well.

In BJJ: I'm not able to defeat my instructor easily yet. If I were able to do so, I would follow the same etiquette as I did in Karate.

In Chuan Fa: I only got the better of Master McGinnis once. It was honestly dumb luck. Wasn't much of an issue here. I could probably beat him now. But would do so only in private.

I can see why you took this approach, ps1. Was there a point in training in class at which you realized that you could beat your instructor easily, and then decided that you should back off? How gradually, or how abruptly, did you realize this?

If you defeat your teacher, than your teacher did well. But sparring and fighting are to differant things as well. You would probably never beat your sensei in a real street fight. In a sparring match its more controlled.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

I can see why you took this approach, ps1. Was there a point in training in class at which you realized that you could beat your instructor easily, and then decided that you should back off? How gradually, or how abruptly, did you realize this?

It was gradual. A combination of my maturation, my instructor growing older, and my constant and hard training. If I'm lucky, one day a student of mine will be able to do the same to me.

If you defeat your teacher, than your teacher did well. But sparring and fighting are to differant things as well. You would probably never beat your sensei in a real street fight. In a sparring match its more controlled.

Assuming we had equal desire to live and equal skill levels, the younger and faster person would have won. That was me. One day, it will no longer be me. That's just the natural process. Fortunately, I will never have to know for sure.

Assuming we had equal desire to live and equal skill levels, the younger and faster person would have won. That was me. One day, it will no longer be me. That's just the natural process. Fortunately, I will never have to know for sure.

Even with the equal desire to live, if it would be your time to die then it would have been your time to die, but most instructors never fully teach their students everything, just in case, cases like that were to occur, as they occassionally did in feudal japan and occupied china. They always kept certain techniques to themselves so they could use them on their students if need be.

You may be fast, and you may be a good fighter, you may even be the bet student of your teacher, but you are never your teacher. Nor are you your teachers teacher. I've seen 90 year old master in kyokushin style and Uechi Ryu take down 20 and 30 year olds in legitimate sparring matches. With one to five hits. It all has to do with timing and karma.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku