• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goju vs. Shorin vs. Kempo-goju styles

zube294

I have been researching karate schools like crazy and have determined there are three schools (goju, shorin, and kempo-goju) around me that would be of interest. Ignoring the possibility of a lousy instructor or dojo, what style is most practical for self defense? I know goju is hard/soft style whereas shorin is a hard(?, not reall sure) style with emphasis on linear and natural movements and kempo-goju is a mix of chinese kempo with goju ryu karate. Another one of my concerns is being jumped by a group of people (some gang violence near me) and I guess which style is best suited for fighting multiple opponents is something that should be taken into consideration. Granted, all of these styles may be legitimate self defense arts for either one or multiple attackers, in which case, I would simply need to make a decision based on which instructor/dojo I liked most (and most style I liked most). Anyways, all help is appreciated, thanks!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I can't speak entirely for Shorin or pure Goju. But coming out of an art that was has roots into the Goju Kempo side of things I can say that you'd likely be pleased with what your looking for.

It offers a good bend of progressive striking along with standing joint manipualtion and takedowns. Additionally, you're utilizing alot of parrys rather than force to force blocks, so your redirections tend to get pretty good.

It's a pretty good self defense art. And it gives you a good base to buildo on when yo begin cross training into other things.

As for good againts gang type jump and beat operations, you can check out some threads onthis in the self defense catagory but the general consensus is that your chances are slim regardless of art if the attackers really want to hurt you. Granted any training in this capacity will help, just know what you're getting into. This gets even more problematic when you add the highly violent nature of most hard core gang members, who when collected into a group of three or more, at least one is probably armed.

As to the inital post, stylistic preferances aside, find the school that best fits what you want to do and where you feel that you have the best raport with the classes and instructors. You'll get much further in this environment.

I've been involved in Shorin Ryu for 30+ years, so of course I'd recommend that. As for it being a "hard" style...well, it gets a whole lot softer as you progress.

Anyway, I don't know much about Goju, but I like what I've seen and heard, so that would be choice #2 for me. As for goju kenpo? No clue...sorry.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

• 2 months later...

Kempo-Goju karate is a hybrid system of karate based on two styles of karate, Kempo karate( closely tied to Mas Oyama Kyokushin Karate) and Goju ryu( from the Gogen Yamaguchi lineage).

The founder of this system is Charles Warren. He earned the rank of black belt in the above mentioned styles while in the Air force.

Mr. Warren started teaching both styles of karate in Wisconsin, while he was a Wisconsin State Trooper. He began to merge what he thought to be most practicle from both systems. My instructor, Mr. Muhammad Sabir, was one of the first black belts in Mr. Warren's system.

I first started my study of Martail arts at The Fighting Arts Academy loctaed at 60th and W. North ave. in Milwaukee, WI. under Ben DeLeon and Tom Hall, back in 1978.

When the club folded, Mr. Hall advised my Dad that I should train at Mr. Sabir's Dojo located at 46th and W. North ave. The style I was taught and exposed to at Sabir's Dojo, and other Kempo-Goju Dojo's are consistant with the following description.

Kempo-Goju karate is a primarly stand up striking style. the training is drilling basics in a formation, pre-arranged self defense sets, and point style/ continuios style of fighting, Grappling is limited to a few trips and sweeps, with no ground fighting, and of course Kata.

I hold a Nidan(2nd degree black belt) from Mr. Sabir. I think Mr. Sabir's approach to karate is excellent.

I think Kempo-Goju karate has a pretty decent stand up game, most of the Black belts are reasonably competent in striking. The main weakness in the system , in my opinion, is a lack of a serious Grappling program in the training syllabus in the clinch and ground fighting. I also think that they should train more towards Full contact kickboxing or MMA style tournaments. Tom Hall and Jay Wilson(both Kempo- Goju black belts) have competed with some success in kickboxing in the PKA.

I have been competing in Judo and Pankration(amatuer style MMA) since 2003, to round out my fighting ability, and found that Kempo-Goju gave me a good base for some of the striking, but was found wanting in some of the areas that Judo filled in.

I would certianly recommend Kempo-Goju, but for me, I have been moving towards MMA style of training and competing, as a personal prefrence.

You have two recommendations for kempo-gojo. Like Montana, I'm a shorin ryu man, thought not nearly as experienced, and I have good things to say about it as well. Partially, it will depend on what brank of shorin ryu your dealing with, along with the instructor. Shorin Ryu will have you training and fighting out of higher, and lighter stances than a lot of others I've seen and teaches more of an angled/deflective blocking instead of straight force on force.

That said, quality of individual instruction varies, sometimes greatly, so check out the dojos before committing. They should be willing to let you sit in and observe a class or two, or even work out once or twice without committing to much in the way of money. Basically, each dojo will have different emphasis, strengths and weaknesses, so it pays to see what your getting into before making the leap.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

• 1 month later...

Nothing like posting on a thread that's been silent for a month and a half, but hey...

I hope by this time you've made your decision and started training. I'd love to hear what you decided and how it has been so far. My background is solidly in Goju Ryu, and I think you could do far worse than to make that choice, particularly if the school in your area practices traditional conditioning (makiwara, chi-ishi, etc.).

Of course I am biased.... 8)

"Mo ichi do!"--Morio Higaonna