• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Did your dad teach you how to fight?

This used to be something that happened more often in the West. The old man would take the kids out in the yard, or the basement, or into the garage, and teach them the "basics" of fighting. Keep your hands up, punch straight out, etc., etc. I believe that this used to happen more, but doesn't really happen so much anymore.

Did your dad ever teach you how to fight? I remember when I was younget that my dad would spend some time with us on different aspects of defending ourselves. I think it is something that should be rekindled, too. I hope to do the same with my son.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My old man was a boxer in the Navy. So, yeah, he did his part in showing me how to hit, move, that sort of thing in a limited way.

I agree that as a society it would be good if we got back to this sort of mindset.

He didn't, even when it was evident it was necessary. I paid the price for it.

:evil:

I'm not only introducing my sons to karate for physical and emotional health reasons, which are good in and of themselves, but they need to know how to defend themselves. They learn in the dojang and I have certain reviews at home, but not too much that they will grow to dislike it.

And I believe that if I had a daughter or daughters, I'd have her/them taught by me, a professional, or most likely both.

_ _ _ _ _ :karate: _ _ _ _ _

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

My dad did some boxing when he was young. he taught me some things when i was a kid and it actually helped. I was somewhat of a small kid but with some good hands, it made up for it ;)

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

My Dad didn't really teach me much physically.. he did take me to my first TKD lesson and got me started in MA though.

Once piece of advice he gave me when I was younger was to always go for the biggest guy if I were attacked by a group because you'd scare off the rest of the gang. I don't really know how sensible that advice is now but it did work for me when I was about 8 and was being harassed by a group of 13/14 year olds on bikes.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 2 weeks later...