• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Perspectives on Fighting Multiple Opponents

Do you really believe you can defeat multiple attackers with just striking?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Do you really believe you can defeat multiple attackers with just striking?

• Yes, I believe I have the neccessary skills for 2-3 people
    • Yes, I trust I do because my instructor says so
    • No, there are no proven strategies or techniques for defeating multiple opponents
    • No, but I will use everything I have to try

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no guarantees, but some of the better material i have seen in regards to this topic comes from these guys:

I checked out this video and a couple of realted others on the same YouTube page.

Lots of face-striking against multiples, including open-hand techniques that made me think of raking moves. Backing up as though wanting no trouble--then springing forward--is sound. Related videos included having several guys against one, but the one with the biggest mouth was most forward, allowing an attack and passing through his disorganized buddies behind him. There was one with picking up a chair to defend yourself. What I've read in the past, though, is that if you're going to use a chair that way, don't have its legs facing your opponent like a rectangle; have it like a diamond--which is just a turned rectangle, but bound to cause him/them more damage.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I will add in though, IMHO . If you goto the ground with 2 or 3 attackers and they have any abilities what so ever you are toast.

Floor-fighting is an art in itself. If against one attacker, you've got a decent chance; more than one, the odds aren't in your favor.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I chose the last option, but not because I am looking to defeat multiple attackers. In that scenario, I am looking to survive and get away from the multiples. The likely hood of "beating" multiple guys like that is slim, no matter how good you are at one-on-one.

I voted "Yes, I believe I have the skills..." just because I have before and I've known other people who have as well. But at the same time, I must keep it in perspective. It was high school and though people were legitimately trying to hit me, I don't think any of them were actually trying to hurt me. Of course I could be wrong on that as well.

Basic Budo principle of multiple attack...Deal with them one at a time.

Basic principle of attacking someone with numbers- swarm them.

The premise of dealing with attackers one at a time I believe is a bad hangover from cheesy 80's karate movies. You cant decide to handle your opponents one at a time- your opponents can only decide to fight you one at a time.

Basic principle of attacking someone with numbers- swarm them.

I remember a friend from when I was in college who had a black belt in karate (I don't know the style; people just said "karate" then), and he had said something I heard only from him: fight to be in the center. I didn't hear him speak of zoning, or speak in some way of having them be in one-another's way. He said that the one in the center has the advantage, but I knew little about karate at that time, so I didn't even know what to ask him to elaborate on this. Looking back, it almost sounds like the best defense is a good offense.

Jim, are you referring to anything like what this fellow was saying?

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I can't speak for jim, but for my money your only real good option is to attack. As viciously and violently as possible.

Sure, it's a great idea if you can keep one guy between you and everyone else, but it's pretty easy for one guy to jump on you and just tie you up while the other one (or two) start throwing punches into the back of your head.

Once it starts, your best bet is to incapacitate one of them as quick a possible. Keep trying to get though until you can make a break away. Keep doing your best to hurt as many as possible until you can escape, which shold be you end goal to you assult.

If the stakes are high here and these guys are really trying to hurt you, I'd advocate escalating in weaponry here and using it.

I can't speak for jim, but for my money your only real good option is to attack. As viciously and violently as possible.

Sure, it's a great idea if you can keep one guy between you and everyone else, but it's pretty easy for one guy to jump on you and just tie you up while the other one (or two) start throwing punches into the back of your head.

Once it starts, your best bet is to incapacitate one of them as quick a possible. Keep trying to get though until you can make a break away. Keep doing your best to hurt as many as possible until you can escape, which should be you end goal to you assult.

If the stakes are high here and these guys are really trying to hurt you, I'd advocate escalating in weaponry here and using it.

I agree.

Make quick your exit plans and expedite them as efficiently as possible.

"Swarming" to me implies taking all of them on at once. Also very difficult to swarm when there is only one of you. :roll:

I prefer the single out one option, breach... and leg it!!

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk