• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Was humbled recently

kansascityshuffle

I've been involved in martial arts for the most of my life beginning with my Father teaching me shito ryu before I started school. I did fairly well and have received a few black belts and intructor grades in in different martial arts. I love to talk to other fighters and martial artists and keep in contact with the ones I have met through the years. I have received financial opportunities and have helped others get jobs(teaching, private security, pro fights, etc.). I have a facebook/myspace with a few pics of me fighting, doing techniques, and with other fighters which I didn't realize was kind of egotistical.

I recently started dating a young Japanese girl but she's lived in the USA most of her life and is "Americanized". Her and I have been talking for months before we decided to date. She knew I did martial arts because of my pictures but I never told her my "resume" or anything of that nature because it would bore most people and non-martial artists. Her and I were trying to make plans to go out for coffee or whatever and she told me she couldn't because of karate. I had no idea she did Karate, or any martial art..so I asked her what style and lo and behold, hayashi ha shito ryu, the same style I started out in. It turns out she has been training in Karate and Judo since she was 5 and is "only" a shodan in both styles. Of course I started babbling about karate and judo techniques with her. Her response to why she never told me about why she did martial arts was simply "because you never asked".

It wasn't until later that it really sunk into me how humble and pure her martial art training is. I later found out that her sensei wants her to test for nidan and she doesn't care to. Most people I know would jump at any oppurtunity they have to advance in rank. I must admit, I do and when I was younger remember training an insane amount of hours in hopes of getting that next belt.

This girl that shall remain nameless has gave me hope to the path my martial art training leads me some day.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice to get that reminder occassionally. Very big of you to admit it. I've had these experiances from time to time as well. They are very enlightening when you take them the way you have.

I had no idea she did Karate, or any martial art . . .

It wasn't until later that it really sunk into me how humble and pure her martial art training is.

She certainly sounds like a beautiful person. You're a lucky guy to have met her.

_____ :nod: _____

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

How sweet !! It is so refreshing to hear of someone so humble in the martial arts world. Too often you hear of the opposite. I wish you all the best !! :) :) :)

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

I had no idea she did Karate, or any martial art . . .

It wasn't until later that it really sunk into me how humble and pure her martial art training is.

She certainly sounds like a beautiful person. You're a lucky guy to have met her.

_____ :nod: _____

I agree.

He is a lucky guy. Every time a girl asks me what my hobbies are and I tell them, their dull faced through "writing books" and then when I say "and a little martial arts" she'll look at me like I just threatened her life.

He is a lucky guy. Every time a girl asks me what my hobbies are and I tell them, their dull faced through "writing books" and then when I say "and a little martial arts" she'll look at me like I just threatened her life.

LOL - I've noticed over the years in regard to relationships and karate, that it seems to work best if both partners are either involved in some kind of martial arts or at the very least very familiar with it. Who else can understand our hobby / past time / obsession but a fellow practitioner? :brow: Just my observation.

If I'm wrong - someone please give a "shout out" - :lol:

Edited by Tiger1962
"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

I agree with you Tiger. Even though my wife doesn't train anymore, she can still listen to me when I talk to her about MA, and she doesn't have that blank look on her face.

Good for you, KCshuffle. Its great when you can find someone with that kind of compatibility. Perhaps you two will become great training partners, too.

BB of C . . . I don't know what kind of writing you do, fiction or non-fiction, but there are women who are definitely attracted to creative men. And as for the martial arts, well, who's to say there isn't a lovely lady out there who's into fitness, open to the martial arts, and appreciates an intelligent man?

I've noticed over the years in regard to relationships and karate, that it seems to work best if both partners are either involved in some kind of martial arts or at the very least very familiar with it.

I remember a female high school student who was very happy with her boyfriend because he was involved in martial arts, as she was. No offense meant to sports-minded guys, but she was often bored when the males she knew went on about different sports that she had no interest in, but listened politely to.

_____ :karate: _____

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu