• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Origins of Tamashiwara?

moriniuk

Well yes I guess you could have said it was/is a test of technique and spirit.

Reference the wooden armour; the basic armour worn today by Kendo-ka is called "Bougu" and the centre section worn around the chest / stomach is called the "do" or do plate. Traditionally this is made from laquered bamboo, but it is important to remember that, in kendo anyway, it is only supposed to offer protection against a shinai, not a sharpened blade.

Whether this form of body protection has its origins on the battlefield I dont know, but it may have been a cheaper option for the slightly less well healed Samurai, particularly if you bear in mind the cost of formed metal in this period of time.

I read once that a Katana was almost more of a status symbol than it was a weapon of utility, and by todays comparisons it was like owning a Ferrari.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit more research has revealed that samurai armour was originally made up from strips of metal bound together with leather cord. This was later modified to being rivetted together.

Higher ranking samurai had the metal plates closer together than lower ranks.

It looks like that discounts the idea of breaking through wooden armour.