• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Sword

Jeet Kune Do

I saw in a martial art science documentary that the sword is the ultimate weapon because unlike a nunchaku for example, it can become 'one' with the swordsman (give some comments about this)

but I don't know where to go to learn sword fighting (Not a samurai sword, a regular sword that is straight and was used by English Knights)...

Can sword techniques be self taught? :-? (the first person must have learned sword techniques by trial and error and developed them to teach it to others)

A sword can Slice, Stab and slit a man, and can block off other weapons like a staff.

Should I use Youtube to learn sword techniques? I am particularly interested in the trick where the swordsman flips the sword around his hand or fingers in a full 360 degree turn, how do they do that?

A drop of sweat spent in practice is a drop of blood saved in a battle.

A person who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the man doing it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, I wouldn't concern myself with sword-flicking tricks if you want to learn actual fighting techniques.

Check out https://www.thearma.org for some great info on Medieval Swordsmanship. They have information on starting up your own study groups, if you have the time, resources, and friends available. They also have seminar information.

Anything that you can read by John Clements will serve you well in this realm, too. That website has several articles by him, along with some titles that he has written, and how to purchase them.

Best of luck in your pursuit of the sword!

. . . I don't know where to go to learn sword fighting (Not a samurai sword, a regular sword that is straight and was used by English Knights) . . .

A sword can Slice, Stab and slit a man, and can block off other weapons like a staff.

I realize your interest is in medieval swordsmanship, JKD, but if you ever wanted to try a Western sword that's a potent weapon, you could sign up for fencing lessons with the saber.

When I went for fencing lessons some years ago, the swords offered were the foil (lightest--strike zone above the waist), the epee (heavier--strike zone the entire body), and the saber (heaviest of the three--strike zone above the waist). I was actually most interested in the saber, which I found out from the instructor was the quickest of the three to progress with, and I really liked the feel of it in my hand. (It's so "military," too.) But my girlfriend couldn't handle anything heavier than the foil, so that's what our lessons were on. (Now, women not only use the epee, but women compete in the Olympics with the saber.)

Incidentally, I have a small sword collection, the swords ordered by Internet: a Roman sword, a Viking sword, a Medieval sword, a Scottish Claymore, and a Samurai sword. The Roman, Viking, and Medieval swords I sharpened myself; the Samurai sword came razor-sharp; the Scottish Claymore isn't designed to be sharp, but to keep its edge to crash through English armor and break the bones underneath.

I hope you find what you're looking for, but don't discount the saber.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Bushido man's link above is a very good one. In fact, I think I ended up cheking it out when he mentioned it some time back.

I'd also reccommed checking out the SCA. It's an organization that does wepaons training as well as a viariety of other middle ages related stuff. I fought with this group for quite a while off and on at ealier stages in my life. I probibly still would if I could carve the time out.

No, it's not exactly "real" either. But you will get a solid grounding in what it takes to use stuff that's pretty close to what was common back in the day. Plus, it has the benifit of being a full contact sport due to the level of protection mandated. You won't see a ton of flassy stuff, but you will get to smack people around with rattan weapons and that's just good fun.

They also have the benifit of being a very large organization with groups just about everywhere. It's worth checking out if you're into that sort of thing. Heck, just talking about it makes me want to dust my armor off...

I hear ya, tallgeese. Some of the knights, and the kings of the kingdoms...those guys are pretty nasty with them rattan sticks!

Joesteph: I too think that sabre would be a good time. I prefer more slashing than thrusting.