• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any words or tenets you teach?

In our school we teach the "5 Tenets". Basically at white belt these are learned right off the bat and they are expected to be memorized. We have Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self-Control, and Indomitable Spirit.

Unfortunately I seem to be one of the few students who have learned these and remembered them 8 years later from my journey from white to black belt.

Do you teach tenets at your school? Do you expect your students to remember them? :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you teach tenets at your school?

I'm not an instructor, Truestar, but since the instructor for my boys and me refers to the Eight Key Concepts at least in part for my children, I use two of them myself with them, sometimes in the dojang, sometimes outside it.

Yon Gi is translated in my art as Courage, and also "I can do it" for children. I use this with them--and they respond to me in the Korean--when there's a need for it. I say Chung Shin Tong Il, which is translated as Concentration, when I need to remind them to focus, to concentrate, when they're not quite themselves and the task may seem frustrating. They don't remember the Korean, but I say it and they repeat it after me. The boys do understand what message I'm conveying to them.

That's only the first two of the Eight Key Concepts, but they're just shy of age seven, and these two work well for them--and for Dad to help them along.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

We have exactly the same tenets as you Truestar. You learn them for your first grading and even the kids are expected to know what they mean by the second grading. If you don't implement them in some way in your life its unlikely you'll ever get asked to grade for the higher colour belts or blackbelt.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

We don't teach the tenets so much in class. However, everyone is expected to use common sense and to be courteous to others, in and out of the school.

Tenants for off the mat activities- not so much. We're a pretty individualistic organization so some of the schools are more into this than others.

For me, the closest thing is the core princiiple I try to teach around: evade, stun, unbalance, and control.

I wrote a creed about 5 years ago that is on the back of all of our school shirts...

Fear is our companion

Pain is our mentor

Survival is our duty

Life is the only reward

Our will shall never die

• 3 weeks later...

Modesty

Integrity

Courtesy

Etiquette

Self-Control

Perseverance

Indomitable Spirit

Respect

Have faith in your teacher and your selected system of martial arts.

Revere your ancestors.

Train with your mind.

Strengthen the will.

Center your energy.

Focus on reality.

Quest for higher excellence.

Never misuse what you learn.

Act with earnestness.

Covet nothing.

Subdue the "I".

Behave with fortitude.

Learn always.

Assume nothing.

Overcome fear with courage.

Teach and grow.

All students are expected to know and follow these tenets and precepts.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/