• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

leaving my sensei?

unknownstyle

As Wado Ryu Techniques will be coming into the style I pre-empted it by adding the 'Ryu' to the name

Some may say its not a good reason for naming a style but to me it gives me completion in my Karate journey

I will have a website shortly with Demos of the kata etc so you will be able to view it.

Hi Dobbersky,

Its as good a name as any really.

Reference the Ryu bit, the word literally means "stream" or school in a karate club context. I guess you realise it is not unique to Wado though yes?

What Wado techniques are you looking at importing into your style.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wa-no-michi-san

I like you excellent responses to my posts, it is good to find someone who thinks in a similar way

With regards to Wado techniques and Kata

My Wado Sensei will be assisting me with the techniques and Gumites be it Kihon or Ippon etc

I am looking at Niseshi, Wanshu, Naihanchi and Chinto for the kata

But I will not be looking at bring them in until I feel I am worthy enough to teach them back to my students.

I believe that Traditional Karate has a lot to give in todays society, I have studied Ashihara Karate (this I teach), but I want those who think Traditional Karate is too 'old' to find what I have within Wado

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

With regards to Wado techniques and Kata

I am looking at Niseshi, Wanshu, Naihanchi and Chinto for the kata

Wow, very ambitious!

I wonder why Niseishi, Wanshu though? Surely Seishan over these two??

Remember, any Kata beyond Chinto isn't considered an "official" Wado kata. Sure there are Wado versions of them but they fall into the "nice to know" category.

I would be more concerned however about how you propose to manifest the principles of wado contained in these kata into kumite.

Without that bridge, Wado katas are useless.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

• 1 year later...

my instructor has created his own system, presently i am the only active dan ranking student and i teach a majority of the classes at our dojo. when i started training under him he taught his base system Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu, i am thinking of joining the organization he broke away from, the only catch to this is the only way they will let me continue in their system is by cutting ties and not training under him at all.

With all due respect to the parties in question, the first thing I would recommend is purge your mind of the propaganda.

I know of your instructor and the group he of which he used to be a member. They're all pretty bitter and very much closed minded. They also pass down a poor attitude to all of the students that I have interacted with and tend to be pretty insular, thereby propagating the legend they have created.

My advice is avoid any system that holds grudges or ignore it as long as possible. There are issues with any MA group, even mine. I ignore it and go on. Also, contact people associated with the style and start getting outside info and reach your own conclusions.

Also, remember that your instructor left his MS sensei as a shodan. He's not teaching you more because he left at a time where he only had hold on the basics. The real work begins at shodan.

The best weapon in martial arts is an open mind...

the only reason is that organization in the world that teaches my original style. i would have joined the Kenshin Kan org. but they dont teach the real matsumura seito that i started with.

...as far as you been told. Go check it out.

Everyone thinks they have the best kool-aid. It's just water, color and sugar...

Your situation is very similar to the situation my sensei has. My sensei trained with his instructor for almost 30 years but now he wants to change his karate style. His instructor created his own version of Shotokan but my sensei found a much better Shotokan form.

First he didn't know what to do. Stay in the old style he does not like? Or shift to a new one where he can expand his skills?

My highest recommendations to you is to do what you want. It can be hard if you have been loyal so far to your sensei. But I think that if you do not learn much in your old style, it is better for your development to change the style. You should always search for new ways of expanding your skills. If you think that the new style is better, then train the new one.

Greetings

John Steczko

John The Burn Belly Fat Guy

i really dont get any training all i do is teach for him, and no the training is not genuine, at times i am shown things that are made up and are only for sport. i want the tradition that i am not getting from him.

I can kinda relate to this. It's a crappy situation, you gotta do what propels you forward.