• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

leaving my sensei?

unknownstyle

One issue is, I love traditional Wado Ryu Kata and enjoy Ashihara Karate, but I want to blend the 2 this is not an option with my Sensei.

With respect Dobersky, how are you going to "blend" Ashihara and Wado when you have only just started training in Wado?

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zanshin-san

I completely understand your question, I have thought that myself on many occasions but such is life. I cannot continue to study two arts so merging them will allow me to perfect the techniques and Kata I have chosen.

This is an ongoing situation, until I reach a standard that I can do that I will continue to teach Ashihara Karate.

Again I must re-iterate that I owe it to my Sensei for showing me the way in martial arts

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Zanshin-san

I completely understand your question, I have thought that myself on many occasions but such is life. I cannot continue to study two arts so merging them will allow me to perfect the techniques and Kata I have chosen.

This is an ongoing situation, until I reach a standard that I can do that I will continue to teach Ashihara Karate.

Again I must re-iterate that I owe it to my Sensei for showing me the way in martial arts

Hi Dobbersky,

I see, I think, so are you going to continue with training in both for the time being?

You have the advantage over me, as I have never done Ashihara karate, but I am sure that there are techniques that are common to both styles.

The only thing that I would worry about perhaps, is that by practicing them both and merging your training, you are not doing Ashihara or Wado. There is a risk that you will develope a sort of "homogenised" karate.

Now that appeals to some but most Wado-ka would be completely turned off by the idea.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

I ended up more or less merging Shito with Muay Thai because of my crash course into knockdown karate via my first Muay Thai coach who also had a background in knockdown karate. It wasn't until years later that I trained in a system that really stressed Kyokushin but even than it still had elements of Judo, penjak silat, and kickboxing in it. I was a yudansha in shito and goju and when I started learning muay thai it wasn't until I was an actual instructor at my MT gym did I start to "blend" the two together.

I don't reccomend anyone blending two styles together when they're a beginner in the other style. Especially if the instructor of the new style they're just learning hasn't given them any instructor rank, it's disrespectful.

This is how, unfortunately, styles get dilluted, and some styles are viewed by others as "weak". The same thing will happen to BJJ, eventually, it has happened to just about every other style.

I have to say in your original post I caught the "all I do is teach for him." Where is his loyalty to you? He may be a mentor and done alot for you, but in the end, is he loyal to you as a senior student? The other thing that caught my attention was the fact that the other school wants you to break from him. Why? There must be a reason behind that stipulation. As others have said, sit down and talk to him. Good luck.

I agree here with tori, but I also think you need to talk to your sensei before you make your choice.

i would like to hear your opinions on my situation.

my instructor has created his own system, presently i am the only active dan ranking student and i teach a majority of the classes at our dojo. when i started training under him he taught his base system Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu, i am thinking of joining the organization he broke away from, the only catch to this is the only way they will let me continue in their system is by cutting ties and not training under him at all.

my instructor is really ll that i have had to look up to as a positive male role model, he has done alot for me and molded me into the person i am today. is it wrong for me to possibly ruin all of that just so i can continue my training the proper way?

I would try talking with my Sensei first. Let him know what you want in your training and see if he is willing to provide that to you. If you need to leave him you can still try to leave on good terms and keep him as a male role model. He just will not be your teacher in the martial arts.

As far as joining the organization he left I would think of maybe looking at others first. Why would you join an organization that would restrict who you have ties with. It generally a bad I idea to study with a sensei that restricts you from training outside his school. It is also bad if an organization puts those restrictions on you as well.

the only reason is that organization in the world that teaches my original style. i would have joined the Kenshin Kan org. but they dont teach the real matsumura seito that i started with.

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

i would like to hear your opinions on my situation.

Your posting was on September 20th, unknownstyle. Have you found feedback from the forum helpful? Have you made your decision yet?

If you have decided to leave, the longer you wait, the harder it will be, especially since your Sensei has declared his intentions.

_____ :-? _____

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

i decided to stay, he has no problem with cross training but i wont train with someone that doesnt allow me to stay with my teacher.

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."