• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

leaving my sensei?

unknownstyle

i really dont get any training all i do is teach for him, and no the training is not genuine, at times i am shown things that are made up and are only for sport. i want the tradition that i am not getting from him.

Well there you go, that's a genuine problem then. You could maybe try talking to him and working something out where you can get some advanced training from him... but if you are his senior student and he's not showing you anything new right now without you asking then I suppose your prospects aren't that good. It might be for the best that you move on.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i really dont get any training all i do is teach for him, and no the training is not genuine, at times i am shown things that are made up and are only for sport. i want the tradition that i am not getting from him.

Is he aware of your concerns? I would suggest speaking to him first because he may not know that you, and possibly other students, feel like this. As a dan grade and one of his instructors you could make suggestions to areas you think you should be teaching and learning. If he's not prepared to listen and maybe change a few things, then consider leaving.

edit: jaddensinn beat me to it :P

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

[H]e has done alot for me and molded me into the person i am today.

Oops! Unknownstyle, this is something we needed to know up front. Going by the original post, it appeared to me to be a close relationship, a mentorship, the master passing his knowledge on to his star student. My earlier post was based on this.

Your second post casts everything in this relationship in a new light--or should I say "twilight"? Is he, to turn a phrase, "burned out"? This seems to be a no-brainer; be grateful for the good he has done in your life, but don't make yourself into a victim.

Good luck with your decision.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I think you should weigh the pros and cons carefully before making a decision. I believe in being loyal to your instructor "up to a certain point". One of my pet peeves are students who are so loyal that they are "unrealistic" when it comes to their instructor. Meaning, they idolize them so much that they fail to see that they are human and makes mistakes and the world they live in is not to be seen through rose-colored glasses. It doesn't seem like you are that person. You see the deficiencies there and you see the positives. Now you are ready to improve and move on. IMO there is nothing wrong with that and it seems like you have a realistic outlook on your instructor and school.

After a period of time when you have paid your dues and especially in your case that you've taught so much and helped him out, there comes a time when a student has the desire to break away and begin something new or start something on his own. I see nothing wrong with this in fact, to me it seems like a natural path of growth. True, it might not be an easy thing for you to do or for your instructor to accept, but as students aren't we supposed to grow and advance to become better or "more" than what we started as? There are some instructors who can not handle their students "leaving the flock" and see it as disloyalty. There are students who never advance and pursue other goals they desire and either become resentful of their instructor for holding them back, if not literally then feeling held back "emotionally."

IMO, once you've weighed the pros and cons and whether you will be happier, then do what your heart desires because if you don't, you will probably regret it. That doesn't mean you aren't grateful for what your instructor taught you. I would just have a nice talk with him about what your plans are, rather than just pick up and leave. If he's got your best interests at heart, then he should be ok with it and if not, then what is the reason he would hold you back? Selfishness or ??? If that turns out to be the case, then its his issue not yours. Good luck :)

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

I have to say in your original post I caught the "all I do is teach for him." Where is his loyalty to you? He may be a mentor and done alot for you, but in the end, is he loyal to you as a senior student? The other thing that caught my attention was the fact that the other school wants you to break from him. Why? There must be a reason behind that stipulation. As others have said, sit down and talk to him. Good luck.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

I have to say in your original post I caught the "all I do is teach for him." Where is his loyalty to you? He may be a mentor and done alot for you, but in the end, is he loyal to you as a senior student? The other thing that caught my attention was the fact that the other school wants you to break from him. Why? There must be a reason behind that stipulation. As others have said, sit down and talk to him. Good luck.

Excellent advice, in my opinion. :)

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

There are a lot of advantages in being associated with a creditable style and governing body.

If you move somewhere will anyone know your new style or anything of your training?

Most new styles die off.

I would leave and make sure Im papered with a legit organization.

Is he aware of your concerns? I would suggest speaking to him first because he may not know that you, and possibly other students, feel like this. As a dan grade and one of his instructors you could make suggestions to areas you think you should be teaching and learning. If he's not prepared to listen and maybe change a few things, then consider leaving.

edit: jaddensinn beat me to it :P

I agree here as well. Do some talking first, and tell him that you want something different, and that you are considering this option. Listen, and see if he will listen as well. If he won't, then that should answer your question.

There are a lot of advantages in being associated with a creditable style and governing body.

If you move somewhere will anyone know your new style or anything of your training?

Most new styles die off.

I would leave and make sure Im papered with a legit organization.

I agree there are loads of advantages of being with an org so unknownstyle should definately look into what the org could offer. Although as far as getting a legitimate org is concerned, I wouldn't worry so much. Legitimate in that they teach good stuff and are looking after your interests then yes, but legitimate as in the legal governing body or a well known org then maybe no.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I know how you feel; I am in a similar situation now, although the issues are not about style etc. One issue is, I love traditional Wado Ryu Kata and enjoy Ashihara Karate, but I want to blend the 2 this is not an option with my Sensei.

My Instructor is like a big brother to me, I am so grateful for all his guidance and friendship over the years I will always accredit him with making me the Martial Artist I am today.

I am looking at going on my own and it’s because of my students who are loyal to me that I must make this choice.

What ever decision you make, remember that once you step over the threshold, there is no going back.

For this reason alone you will realise why there are hundreds of different styles of Karate and not just the main 6 as stated in Japan's listings

I know that the guys on here will assist you if you need some guidance. PM me if you wish I can point you to other sources of guidance etc.

If you are not wishing to be 'alone' in then from the Honbu find a umbrella organisation that you can join who isn't out to 'take' all you dojo revenue.

Whatever decision you make it will be a good one.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)