• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

leaving my sensei?

unknownstyle

i would like to hear your opinions on my situation.

my instructor has created his own system, presently i am the only active dan ranking student and i teach a majority of the classes at our dojo. when i started training under him he taught his base system Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu, i am thinking of joining the organization he broke away from, the only catch to this is the only way they will let me continue in their system is by cutting ties and not training under him at all.

my instructor is really ll that i have had to look up to as a positive male role model, he has done alot for me and molded me into the person i am today. is it wrong for me to possibly ruin all of that just so i can continue my training the proper way?

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is "improper" about the way that you train now? Do you feel the training is genuine, and that you are learning something that is effective? If that is the case, then I would stay with him.

What is "improper" about the way that you train now? Do you feel the training is genuine, and that you are learning something that is effective? If that is the case, then I would stay with him.

I agree with this sentiment. What would the org offer you that your instructor can't or doesn't?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

i would like to hear your opinions on my situation.

my instructor has created his own system, presently i am the only active dan ranking student and i teach a majority of the classes at our dojo. when i started training under him he taught his base system Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu, i am thinking of joining the organization he broke away from, the only catch to this is the only way they will let me continue in their system is by cutting ties and not training under him at all.

my instructor is really ll that i have had to look up to as a positive male role model, he has done alot for me and molded me into the person i am today. is it wrong for me to possibly ruin all of that just so i can continue my training the proper way?

I think the proper way of training is not a style.

"you must have loyal students"

I think if you have the feeling not to be able to be loyal anymore due to difference of opinion then you should leave.

also,

If you prefer style above your sensei then probably the natural road is to part ways.

edit: one who has a good teacher, stays.

my instructor has created his own system

What do you know of his new system? (I'm certain he poured his martial arts knowledge into it.) Is he addressing martial arts matters that he sees are not being addressed by what there is in place now? (If so, good; we need people like him as leaders in the martial arts.) Is it that he believes that there must be a greater emphasis on moving with the times, and so intends to do it? (This may place him at odds with "the powers that be" right now, and yet it also identifies him as a man of vision.) Are you teaching only the approved methods now, or have you already incorporated the new with the old? (Perhaps you've already started the thousand mile journey with that first step the Chinese speak of.)

when i started training under him he taught his base system Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu, i am thinking of joining the organization he broke away from . . .

Are you concerned about your martial arts career, in that there is something offered by this organization that you find indispensible? (Your instructor offers you "the road less traveled"; the organization offers you "the path of least resistance.") Can you envision yourself enjoying this pioneering martial arts adventure he is embarking on? (It sounds like an exciting one.) Do you feel your concern about this change is a fear of the unknown? (That just makes you human; no crime in that.)

. . . a positive male role model . . .

. . . i can continue my training the proper way?

By "proper," unkownstyle, you're referring to things as they are now, and as you expected them to continue, in this martial art. Your instructor believes there is another way, a way he deems proper and, as the positive role model you refer to him as, you haven't said why, other than to stay a member of an organization, you wouldn't continue with him.

I understand that there are people who leave a martial art to pursue another; they may decide to return to the first art at a future time, or to move on to yet another martial art. You aren't burning your martial arts bridges behind you by joining with your instructor.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Whether or not something is "proper" in the martial arts these days is a very difficult thing to nail down with any certainty, especially since the martial arts have changed so much all ready and will only continue to change and evolve in the future.

What is ultimately important is whether or not you are satisfied with the training you are receiving. If you're no longer content with it then by all means move on, because when it boils down to it all that matters is that you are enjoying your training and taking something away from it.

You can afford to be entirely selfish in your decision.

I agree that loyalty is a fundamental part of what makes us what we are, but it can also tie us down and restrict us.

Weigh up what gives you the best opportunities for your own personal advancement and goals, both now and for the future. If that is staying with your current sensei then so be it. If however this will limit your access to higher level training, gradings, courses, and competition which you may feel are important to your progression, then maybe this is not the best move for you.

Its art over instructor really. I know what I would choose.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

i really dont get any training all i do is teach for him, and no the training is not genuine, at times i am shown things that are made up and are only for sport. i want the tradition that i am not getting from him.

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

Think you have answered your own question then!

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

i really dont get any training all i do is teach for him, and no the training is not genuine, at times i am shown things that are made up and are only for sport. i want the tradition that i am not getting from him.

if he is not teaching you whats the question then?

leave and search for your own karate.