• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Japan Military Shotokan Karate

Shinta

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

They don't fool around, do they? No body protection, including no face protection, and it didn't look like pulling punches (or kicks) to me. I even saw (in one slow-motion portion) a ridge hand to the neck.

They were creative, too, using the chairs. We usually think of one person seated, and the other standing while attacking; interesting twist--and true to a real-life situation.

I saw only one woman, but she might be in the military or a police officer; if so, that's pretty bold of her, considering that Japan, as far as I know, is still a male-dominated society.

Thanks, Shinta. :up:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I've always competed bare-handed, only last year gloves were introduced... I only wore a teeth protector before :) Now it's a teeth protector and gloves and I think the quality of the fights imediately went down... People don't concentrate as much and leave the face open a lot more just to score a few more points - getting away from true fighting, true karate...

S.K.I.

Learn, don't expect to be taught.

Mindset for what you are training for is highly important and will keep you devolving from a goal of sd training into a competive game.

I've done some bare knucked training in my time, it is useful. However, now that I'm older and wiser, I also see the appeal to training with gear on to prevent excessive damage. This way, contact can go up without the concern that someone goes home really damamged. Again, training mindset is key.

I believe that training gear can help you to approach more realistic situations in a more friendly way. And I totally agree with you when you say that the mindset is key. What I was talking about was something that I saw on other competitors' attitude in competitions... More point oriented and less fight oriented...

S.K.I.

Learn, don't expect to be taught.

Pretty cool...one dude even had blood on his uniform! The rubber band training was cool, too. I have seen those used for TKD kicking as well, but have never had the opportunity to train with them.

Shinta, under what association/tournaments are you competing bare knuckle? I myself have competed in Kyokushin and Sabaki tournaments under the knockdown kumite rules but I notice you're a Shotokan stylist.

I'm not aware of any Shotokan organizations having any bareknuckle competition since the late 30s/early 40s.

Just curious is all, because I'm aware of Goju having something similar to knockdown rules/Kudo(Daido Juku).

My original Shito sensei would have me and a few others train and spar bareknuckle which was good and bad. Bad for USANKF tournaments because we were going way too full force but good for real life. It took me a long time to figure out that I could get an ippon instead of a waza ari for doing a controlled punch to my opponent instead of actually getting on top of him and actually punching him after I swept him.

Nice to see this video posted again :) You should look into the original "Budo" video if you have never seen it.