• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"fighting stance" during sparring

Waza

Does "at a side" you mean a side stance? Or refer to the relationship between you and the bad guy?

I've never been a fan of stances that moved you too much to your side. It give the attacker too much access to gain your back and takes at minimum two of your weapons out of play by placing them at the rear of the fight.

It' much better, IMO, to keep a bit more squared off. More like a boxing stance. This way all your weapons are closer to the action. You can also move better in response to h is attackes.

If you're refering to being at his side, with all your weapons facing him (or relitively facing him) then it's a great spot to be. Most times due to the fluidity of a fight though you wont be able to maintain it longterm. Best capitalize if you get it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, tallgeese. Many of the students at our TKD school like to use pretty much a back stance as their fighting stance, so they are really side on. I like to use a stance that is a bit more squared. My heels aren't on a line when I spar. I am not as squared up as a Boxer is, but still more than most of the TKDers that I know.

Does "at a side" you mean a side stance? Or refer to the relationship between you and the bad guy?

I've never been a fan of stances that moved you too much to your side. It give the attacker too much access to gain your back and takes at minimum two of your weapons out of play by placing them at the rear of the fight.

It' much better, IMO, to keep a bit more squared off. More like a boxing stance. This way all your weapons are closer to the action. You can also move better in response to h is attackes.

If you're refering to being at his side, with all your weapons facing him (or relitively facing him) then it's a great spot to be. Most times due to the fluidity of a fight though you wont be able to maintain it longterm. Best capitalize if you get it.

Imagine you're fighting or about to spar. Your choice. Anyway, picture your opponent in front of you, whatever stance he's in (if any). You're looking at him with one of your shoulder pointing to him. Let's say it's your right shoulder facing him. That means that your right foot would be forward with your toes pointing in his direction. Your left leg would be behind you with your foot and toes creating a 90-degree angle with your right foot (meaning they're off to the side). Your legs are spread so your center of gravity is slightly lower but you can still spring up into any kind of attack if need be. This is a side stance. Kuk Sool Won calls it a front stance (Ba-nah, right front stance). It's great for circular counters like wrist locks or spinning kicks. It can also be used for linear offensive techniques like front, thrust, side, high and low kicks.

I never liked squaring off. I can't stand squaring off. I always lose fights and/or sparring matches whenever I try to square off. It's because though I'm guarding my head well, I don't have the circular defense advantage and my stomach, chest and legs are still left open. I use the side stance (if I'm standing left, my left arm is extended and my right elbow is at my ribcage, my right fist is under my left elbow and a few inches back. If I'm standing right, I have my right hand forward and my left hand slightly back and lowered, both hands are open, that's just me though). That way I have easy access to both linear and circular attacks and defenses. I also gain coverage because my chest and stomach is still covered. I can block attacks to the side of my head simply by raising my shoulder and lowering my head or using an upward block. If an attack goes at my back I turn to the side and lift up my knee. That works in deflecting low to medium aimed attacks. Higher aimed attacks I tend to parry with my forearm or hand (which gives me the option of trapping, locking and throwing in some cases).

That's how I use it. I'm also relaxed so I can react quicker and keep my mind clear.

Is the back foot in line with the front, or set shoulder width or so off? Mine's offset by about shoulder width.

As far as the actual foot position goes, I alway prefer to keep the pack foot pointed at the bad guy as well, this assist in movment forward and back. It also tends to keep the knee bent. The heel is up that way, so you don't get settled into a spot.

My front foot turns in just a hair. That way, when it's raised, it brings the knee over just enough to cover the groin from attacks from the front.

The foot position this way dosen't keep you "square" to h im, but cants the upper body to about 45 degrees. This keeps the weapons in play and give your body a bit of angle to deflet things at it. It's actually pretty close to ba boxing type stace and lets you move well.

Is the back foot in line with the front, or set shoulder width or so off? Mine's offset by about shoulder width.

As far as the actual foot position goes, I alway prefer to keep the pack foot pointed at the bad guy as well, this assist in movment forward and back. It also tends to keep the knee bent. The heel is up that way, so you don't get settled into a spot.

My front foot turns in just a hair. That way, when it's raised, it brings the knee over just enough to cover the groin from attacks from the front.

The foot position this way dosen't keep you "square" to h im, but cants the upper body to about 45 degrees. This keeps the weapons in play and give your body a bit of angle to deflet things at it. It's actually pretty close to ba boxing type stace and lets you move well.

At our club we use the traditional Karate posture of "Hanmi Gamae" for free sparing which literaly means "half preparation/posture"

It pretty much as you describe tallgeese, with the shoulder at 45 deg angle to the front.

An important princple of Karate Kumite is defending the centre line and by adopting "Hanmi" with your guard in the correct possition, you close down your vulnerable target areas whilst giving you prime positioning to launch an attack.

I also agree about the positioning of the back foot; for correct weight distribution, to allow the back foot to articulate correctly and most importantly to allow rapid forward and backward movement.

How many sprinters do you see "Take Their Mark" with the toes of the back foot pointed out 90 deg. Not only that, it also opens up your groin... Never a good idea.

See Tallgeese I dont think we are that far apart after all. :)

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com