• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Striking" a Woman

Controlling might be the way to go, if you choose not to strike a woman. They have a tendency to grab and claw, and you don't want to get all scratched up (speaking to the realm of untrained; not necessarily trained fighting women). When I have had to control individuals in the past, man or woman, I find that sinking my weight onto them when they are pinned helps to take the fight out of them.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would only hit a woman if I was in a helpless situation . . .

I respect your feelings on this, JKD, although I believe you're directing your posting to a "street" situation. My original posting was that I found myself hesitating in a self-defense technique with a woman--my instructor--in the dojang.

As a man, do you find yourself hesitating or reluctant when in contact or non-contact situations in the dojo/dojang when your partner (sparring or self-defense technique) is a woman?

It's been very interesting, reading the responses not only of the men, but of the women regarding what they expect of fellow students who are male.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I would only hit a woman if I was in a helpless situation . . .

I respect your feelings on this, JKD, although I believe you're directing your posting to a "street" situation. My original posting was that I found myself hesitating in a self-defense technique with a woman--my instructor--in the dojang.

As a man, do you find yourself hesitating or reluctant when in contact or non-contact situations in the dojo/dojang when your partner (sparring or self-defense technique) is a woman?

It's been very interesting, reading the responses not only of the men, but of the women regarding what they expect of fellow students who are male.

My honest opinion on this is if your chief instructor is a woman - I would absolutely NOT hold back. After all, she is supposedly a trained blackbelt at whatever degree level. And if she runs your school and is the chief instructor - I am assuming she has many years under her belt (no pun intended) of experience. I am also assuming she wouldn't hold back with you unless you were a brand new white belt.

There's no guarantee that someday you might be walking the streets and get attacked by a gang (of girls) or find yourself a victim of another situation where a woman is involved.

I know we all look harmless, but some of us actually aren't. :lol:

( just kidding )

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

My honest opinion on this is if your chief instructor is a woman - I would absolutely NOT hold back.

It's really "resocialization" to the world of the dojang. I admit to hesitating, but I didn't object to throwing the strike--so there's hope for me yet!

There's no guarantee that someday you might be walking the streets and get attacked by a gang (of girls) or find yourself a victim of another situation where a woman is involved.

Several years ago, a woman friend was nearly killed in a neighboring city when a young woman robbed her by slashing her with a razor blade. She's lucky she didn't bleed to death. There are some law enforcement members of this forum, so they can correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I understand that violent crimes by females has been constantly rising for at least a decade now.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Several years ago, a woman friend was nearly killed in a neighboring city when a young woman robbed her by slashing her with a razor blade. She's lucky she didn't bleed to death. There are some law enforcement members of this forum, so they can correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I understand that violent crimes by females has been constantly rising for at least a decade now.

I don't know any stats for sure, but I think that it is possible that it could be. It seems to be a trend that crime in general keeps increasing.