• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Usefulness of the High Block

I'm good with the possibility that the motion could and probibly is one or all of the above, you both are far more versed in bunaki than I am. My question is this then- why not just teach those movements as a whole?

As it is, now you have a whole generation of people coming up thinking that it's a block and only a block. Let them see the movement, practice it, and be able to utilize from the get go. They can then build muscle memory though reps of actually applying the tactic.

Anyway, just my thoughts that come to mind after you're explinations of the movement. Which, again, I could totally agree with.

I think that most of it has to do with the lack of some of the bunkai teachings that many receive. Not everyone agrees with what Abernethy teaches, and that is ok. But, not everyone is shown these ideas, and therefore, can usually only pass on what they themselves have been shown.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think allot of this was lost, from the 1920's up when the modern or sport karate very first started to take shape. Funikoshi has in several instances referred to how the karate we do today is nothing like the karate he did years ago. Showing a few new possibilities to people once in awhile does open their eyes and get them thinking on their own, it is suppose to be an art.

Practice makes permanent, not perfect.

Let me help you guys out. If you want to see upward blocks in a practical manner, watch the Floyd Mayweather and Ricky Hatton fight. Floyd used a motified upward block and then a quick vertical punch about 50 times

If my survival means your total destruction, then so be it.

Let me help you guys out. If you want to see upward blocks in a practical manner, watch the Floyd Mayweather and Ricky Hatton fight. Floyd used a motified upward block and then a quick vertical punch about 50 times

I went and watched it here.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=MPPsQjjZR7Q

I didn't see any upward block accept for one part where he has his elbow up and his hand was down.

Alternatively, the next idea spouts from a lapel grab. He [Abernathy]secures the grabbing hand with the same side hand, while smashing down on the crook of the elbow of the grabbing hand (initial downward motion of the high block). This action causes the attacker to bend forward with the pressure and weight of the initial strike. Now that he is bent forward, the high "response" is jammed up into his chin/neck/head, or whatever is available as a target.

I found an online video that refers to what Abernathy does with the downward motion of the high block, Bushido Man. The first segment has the opponent going down; there's also a segment against a large opponent:

http://www.blackbeltmag.com/kelly_mccann_armdrag_takedown_technique/videos/135

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Thats a great example also that can be a cross body block or soto or uchi depending on what you call it the name doesnt matter. In Kyusho jitsu we do a takedown like that using Lung 5 on the arm wich is what the guy in the video is doing more or less. I will see if I can get a few video clips, but it will probly be monday befor I get them up.

Practice makes permanent, not perfect.

Alternatively, the next idea spouts from a lapel grab. He [Abernathy]secures the grabbing hand with the same side hand, while smashing down on the crook of the elbow of the grabbing hand (initial downward motion of the high block). This action causes the attacker to bend forward with the pressure and weight of the initial strike. Now that he is bent forward, the high "response" is jammed up into his chin/neck/head, or whatever is available as a target.

I found an online video that refers to what Abernathy does with the downward motion of the high block, Bushido Man. The first segment has the opponent going down; there's also a segment against a large opponent:

http://www.blackbeltmag.com/kelly_mccann_armdrag_takedown_technique/videos/135

That's a good one. The first motion is what Abernethy does, but instead of the arm drag, he drives the forearm back up into the head.

I'm sure he would do the arm drag takedown as well.

I've heard the high block also referred to as the rising block, and it seems to be a karate standard, especially in kata/hyungs. If it's in other arts, I'm not aware, but it might be in some.

Is it useful against a punch?

This response echoes something that I just posted in a different discussion.

The rising "block" is actually a very effective technique. However, what you are considering as a block is not really the block in that technique.

Most of us, when we learned this technique learned to first extend the other arm and then bring the "blocking" arm up to the outside of the "non-blocking" arm.

The fact is, that the "non-blocking" arm is, in fact the blocking arm. What you are considering the block is actually a counter. It is used to either further deflect the original attack, strike the attacker, or unbalance them.

I agree it is not something that is terribly useful in sparring, but I have seen the "rising block" used VERY effectively in self defense scenarios to strike the attackers throat, hit the pressure point on the back of the arm, or simply push them off balance.

. . . I have seen the "rising block" used VERY effectively in self defense scenarios to strike the attackers throat . . . or simply push them off balance.

A friend once showed me the high/rising block as what he called an "arm bar" (before the days when it came to mean an arm lock in a UFC cage). You rammed the horizonal forearm under the chin/against the throat of your opponent, and used the power of your legs to drive forward; you could also have it in that horizontal position against his chest (especially if he were taller) and, again, using the power of your legs, drive him backward, into a wall or just off-balance, by this "forearm shove." (Your other arm would be an auxiliary for control.)

Non-anti-weapon moves like these should be shown early, when introduced in basic hyungs. It's not that these are complex concepts; I feel that the average white belt would have no problem understanding that this is simply another form of striking.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu