• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Usefulness of the High Block

[Y]ou step in to the attack and strike to their arm above the elbow... done correctly, I'm told, it can easily break the attackers arm, between the armpit and the elbow.

Then wouldn't you be only about a foot from the attacker, Waza, and the block is actually a "forearm smash" against the attacher's upper arm?

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes joesteph, it's one of those cases where the block's not actually just a block.

I haven't done the knife defence we used it in in a while but I'm sure the distance was more than a foot as the attacker is moving into you and you step into him as he does, so the distance cleared between the two of you, combined, is greater than just the single step the defender makes as your both moving.

Joesteph,

It's not a true "X", but they do cross over. Vision isn't impaired, but you get a good shield.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I'm not saying that it will never interecpt an attack like that, but if it were ment to be used against in line attacks, then we'd see it 's use in boxing and other venures that deal almost exclusinvely with punching.

In my mind, it's not about what it "could" would for, but what the most effective method od dealing with any give attack is.

I was taught a higher point of delivery that went with the other arm coming straight up the middle, back of forearm out. That put both arms infront of your face during the middle section of the block. You get a basic cross with the elbows and the backs of forearms somewhat presented. The inside hand, that is straight up, comes back down for the chamber, the other rotates on up with the fist to elbow line at about 45 degrees. Keeps the shoulder more in socket and stronger and creates an angle of deflection.

Are you saying, ShoriKid, that at one point you form an "X" with your forearms in front of your face? It seems to be that way for a split second, then the forearms separate, with the inside hand being brought back down.

In this manner, the initial "X" cover also becomes a defense. Then the outside hand can push down and trap the attacking hand, and the inside hand can slide up into the high block position, but instead of blocking, you can attack with the forearm into the chest or neck area.

I like to reference Iain Abernethy in some of these areas, mainly because he knows more than I do... :P

Abernethy views these techniques not as "blocks," but more as "responses," which is more inline with the actual translations of the techniques from their Japanese names. One of his examples is using a hand-against-hand point of origin, that may happen during a scuffle. If you feel the opponent's hand go to your throat, then you drive the arm up in a high block motion to keep it away from your throat. Then, the body is open to counter attack.

Alternatively, the next idea spouts from a lapel grab. He secures the grabbing hand with the same side hand, while smashing down on the crook of the elbow of the grabbing hand (initial downward motion of the high block). This action causes the attacker to bend forward with the pressure and weight of the initial strike. Now that he is bent forward, the high "response" is jammed up into his chin/neck/head, or whatever is available as a target.

Strikes as blocks, and blocks as strikes.

You are correct bushido_man.

Useing it for a block is ok in an elementary since. As a block for a punch while doing partner line drills or Ippon, is a great way to develop muscle memory, timing & coordination. But when you want to really use at a more advanced level, don’t think of it as a block. Think of it a rising forearm strike, arm break or even a neck break.

:o

Practice makes permanent, not perfect.

I'm good with the possibility that the motion could and probibly is one or all of the above, you both are far more versed in bunaki than I am. My question is this then- why not just teach those movements as a whole?

As it is, now you have a whole generation of people coming up thinking that it's a block and only a block. Let them see the movement, practice it, and be able to utilize from the get go. They can then build muscle memory though reps of actually applying the tactic.

Anyway, just my thoughts that come to mind after you're explinations of the movement. Which, again, I could totally agree with.

That is a good question, why indeed. I have my opinions on why this is the way it is. If you really research Karate history and evolution the answers are there, as to why.

I do teach it as a basic block at first but I always tell them this is the elmentry version of the technique. I start showing the more realistic uses at 9kyu with the adults. I dont teach it to kids untill they are well ready for it.

Practice makes permanent, not perfect.

[W]hen you want to really use at a more advanced level, don’t think of it as a block. Think of it a rising forearm strike, arm break or even a neck break.

My question is this then- why not just teach those movements as a whole?

As it is, now you have a whole generation of people coming up thinking that it's a block and only a block. Let them see the movement, practice it, and be able to utilize from the get go. They can then build muscle memory though reps of actually applying the tactic.

The points you're making are definitely sound. The constant practice of a movement interpreted in a narrow sense, when it actually has broad applications, renders it either viewed as outdated or just a movement you do in a kata/hyung without thought--and so unconsciously dismissed.

Every application of a movement, such a the high block, need not be studied all at once, but we profit when we're introduced to even a few practical applications. It even gets us thinking on our own about other uses we might not have been shown--and it's a good thing to think creatively.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu