• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Usefulness of the High Block

I agree with the last paragraph entirely. That's why I think we shoud just teach them as such.

Unless part of your goal is to really be into passing kata along, then I can understand where you're coming from. As sd concepts go, I think it'd be more efficient to simply teach the movement and do away with what prettty much everyone is saying is a movement that when taught as it usully is, dosen't work.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Non-anti-weapon moves like these should be shown early, when introduced in basic hyungs. It's not that these are complex concepts; I feel that the average white belt would have no problem understanding that this is simply another form of striking.

I agree. Showing the defense to a lapel grab using the high block is a good defensive move, and easy to learn and retain. It also gives the students something to visualize when practicing katas/hyungs.

I agree with the last paragraph entirely. That's why I think we shoud just teach them as such.

Unless part of your goal is to really be into passing kata along, then I can understand where you're coming from. As sd concepts go, I think it'd be more efficient to simply teach the movement and do away with what prettty much everyone is saying is a movement that when taught as it usully is, dosen't work.

I see your point here, tallgeese, and it is a good one. But, some practitioners enjoy the aspects of training that katas and hyungs provide, so they like to hold onto them, and to dig the interpretations out of the moves (whether this is for better or worse, who can say? Or which is the more efficent method?). I think that the fact of the matter is that katas as vehicles of technique transmission are pretty much here to stay, so it is good that those who study them also have the opportunity to work on the interpretations as well.

Kata is dry practice just like in Tactical firearm training. But of course you have to know what you are suspose to be doing.

I can practice my Bunkai with full power in the kata where as when I practice with a uke I cant (well if I did) I wouldnt have many to practice with.

So if you can visualize and know what your doing Kata is a very good way to train it, when you have no partner.

Practice makes permanent, not perfect.

This is a clip of one of many good uses for a Jodan Uke.

http://augustamartialartscenter.com/videos/jodan%20uke.mpg

This is one of the techniques that I was describing earlier. A good one, too.