• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

resistance training preference?

northerndragon

September 13, 2008

Anyone here prefer a specific resistance training program to complement their martial art? How about Karate practitioners too?

• resistance bands?

• weights? (free weights)

• Yikes, I'm a victim of advertising: How about the Bowflex? (as seen on this website forum)

• kettlebells?

• Total Gym?

And on that topic does anyone warn against a specific type of training with resistance? My assumption on this is to use complementary training (a-la Bruce Lee) to ''Complement" one's art, not make them look like Arnold Schwarzeneggar in the process.

thanks,

Eric B.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone here prefer a specific resistance training program to complement their martial art? How about Karate practitioners too? . . .

And on that topic does anyone warn against a specific type of training with resistance? My assumption on this is to use complementary training (a-la Bruce Lee) to ''Complement" one's art, not make them look like Arnold Schwarzeneggar in the process.

I did weight-training for two decades, Eric, and martial arts were a complement, but not an equal focus, though I had times of higher MA activity.

That said, there are particular benefits to using free weights and the Bowflex.

Bench presses give you that forward power. When you bench press, you can even forego direct shoulder and triceps work, since while benching you are mainly using the pectoral muscles (so it's a chest exercise), and the anterior (front) deltoid and the triceps are both greatly involved, meaning the shoulder and the largest, most straightening-out-the-arm, muscle of the upper arm are both working.

While it is obvious that so much time should not be spent on weights that your MA training is affected adversely (time, soreness), other concerns may not be so self-evident.

Take care regarding shoulder work if you choose to do it. You don't want to do an amount, with MA training, overworking the joint and giving you tendinitis there. If you do decide to do shoulder work, do the military press, not the behind-the-neck press, with a moderate weight, and refrain from lateral raises. Lateral raises have your arms moving in a way that, though the dumbbell weights are not heavy, leverage puts greater pressure on the shoulder joint than you realize, and you can, again, increase your chances of suffering from tendinitis.

If you wish to do triceps work to supplement your MA training, one of the best exercises (supplementing bench pressing, too) is triceps kickbacks. They are more "natural" to the body than overhead triceps presses, in that the dumbbells start off at the point of least resistance, then grow in resistance as you move your arm through the arc to the finish point. Overhead triceps presses, as they begin at a point of great resistance, can contribute to developing elbow problems.

Squats are an excellent builder of the quadriceps, and martial artists want to increase the power of their kicks, but take care to use strict form and be careful about the amount of weight used. Strict form will mean evenness of descent and ascent, and not going down more than the upper legs parallel to the floor. If you decide to stop just above parallel, you are safeguarding your knees. In a choice between using greater weight or more reps, since this is to supplement MA training, go with more reps. Remember, too, that squats involve the back through the downward pressure of keeping the barbell in place; no one wants a bad back due to too heavy a load or bad form.

I've found leg presses better than squats to build up the quadriceps--and so kicking power. You have less to be concerned about regarding pressure on your spine, and leg presses are simply safer in that you've eliminated the danger of falling with a weight across your shoulders. There is no strain on the knees at a parallel to the floor change-of-direction point. The advantage of focusing more directly on the quadriceps should be self-evident, and you will find you can handle more weight or go for more reps safely.

I used to train at home with both weights and the Bowflex, and did not use the latter for bench presses or arm work, but for back work (there's a tower available for lat pulldowns) and leg presses.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

As I always do when this subject comes up, I'm gonna tell you to check out a site called crossfit.com

It's an excellent protocol that revolves around total body training using cardio, olympic weights, gymnastics exercises and the like. It's really a great system and I've noticed marked improvements in my athletic perfomance since I started.

It is not the be all and end all of training as some on that site would claim. However, for functional performance it is second to none.

I like to weight train, and have done some plyometrics in the past.

I would like to work with the Total Gym. A friend of mine has one, and he enjoys using it. You can really apply a lot of MA moves to it, as well.

I use the equipment at my gym to supplement my training. I try to strengthen the areas that I know are weaker. Quite simply I just do lighter weights with more reps and once that becomes easier then I will do heavier weights with less repetitions. I mix it up a bit at the gym because using the same machines and doing the same routine bores me, so I stay more focused and interested when I change up my workout routine. I also read that personal trainers often do the same thing for their clients so they won't get bored with their workout routine.

Most importantly is to allow ample time to stretch before and after, especially for us martial artists. I've pulled many a muscle from not stretching out enough prior to class or an outside workout.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

I've got a friend that has a Total Gym, and I always thought that you could really do MA specific movements with it. I may have to get one someday.

• 4 weeks later...

weights all the way baby. I got some weight straps for my arms and legs and I would use that during training. I don't actually look that weird wearing it - it won't impress the ladies but I don't look like a dork