• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which kata best represents your style?

moriniuk

If you really want to get in a debate about what Kata is "original" don't look at Shotokan. Funakoshi DID NOT originally know all the kata you see in most Shotokan syllabus and had his higher ranked students go to people like Mabuni to learn them. This isn't something I just made up, neither. Look around and do some more reading/studying. Shotokan is a great Japanese style of karate that is strong. Which kata is original and isn't is meaningless to a style's effectiveness and beauty. The bottom line is, do you enjoy your training and the kata that you do and if so, which kata represents "your style"?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bottom line is, do you enjoy your training and the kata that you do and if so, which kata represents "your style"?

I like this statement.

I would say that "my style" is probably more characterized by Hwa Rang hyung and Gae Baek or Sae Jong hyungs. Short, sweet, and powerful forms.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd pick a couple.

Naihaichi, Passai (Sho and dai), Kusanku (sho and dai), and Chinto.

Passai is another kata thought to be broken up, the old form is theorized to still exist as a kata known as Kopassai sho.

Naihanchi is a great kata with a lot of applications. I don't remember who said it, but one Okinawan (Iha or Chibana I think...) said Karate starts and ends with Naihanchi.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

Looking at the references to pinan and heian, as well as Itosu, I remembered an article published online about this at:

http://www.brotherhoodofmartialartists.com/

Once there, select Online Magazine from the menu, then choose Vol. 3: May 2008. The article is titled "History of the Pinan Forms" and is by Brad Reynolds.

More became available about this when I received an email newsletter to Iain Abernethey's web site, and the availability of three online issues of Jessen magazine, free to download. The first issue has an article titled, "There Is Nothing 'Peaceful' About the Pinans!" and is by Iain Abernethey. The URL is:

http://www.iainabernethy.com/Jissen_Magazine.asp

and the article contains a quote by Funikoshi, who was very familiar with them: "Having mastered these five forms, one can be confident that he is able to defend himself competently . . ."

:karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• 3 weeks later...

i would have to say the pyung ahn forms represent my style of chun kuk do and tang soo do the best! but if i had to choose one i would say pyung ahn sah dan

"Bushido is realized in the presence of death"

"TapouT or PassouT"