• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Another video - Acrobatic bunkai

BlackSilver

I'm gonna answer to Zanshin.

Firsto of all I appreciate your compliments.

You underlined the fact that there are some techniques of jujitsu that i affirmed we don't know well. It's right in part, it is not the fact that we do not know them well, because my sensei is either a 3rd dan of jujitsu as well as a 6th dan of karate,so he explained'em us well, what I was trying to explain is that i know that my technique in doing such those techniques isn't far good enough, because I do not practice them usaually, and if you say that our jujitsu techiniques aren't good, i honestly affirm that your're right.

Obviously we don't do such those things only, we train a lot even in "traditional" karate (for what concerns katas in competitions), but sometimes it's funny tu "cut" with the same practice and change, trying to face other realities (such as jujistsu in this case), and anylize how an athlete responds to different situations than usual ones.It is really just for fun, but obviously you can dedicate yourself to this kind of demonstrations ONLY IF you already have a sufficiently good karate background (this is my opinion)

If you want this is the link of me and my team doing a kata and a bunkai http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=y3UoqJICmik that represents a more traditional exhibition (obviously this is karate sport).

Beside this I do completely understand your point, but i said it is just for fun, and in some cases, the audience needs a particular kind of demonstration to enjoy a particular "show" which is not based on karate.

Last thing to say, you talked about realistic karate...I don't know what you meant, but we practice karate as self defence but er are more involved in karate "sport" now that we have the age to compete...in my dojo the "realistic" karate, concerning the self defence, is much more practiced by adults than us for obvious reasons of time. Our style is Shito Ryu anyway.

Hope my English have been comprehensible =)

Thank you anyway, and thank you bushido man and Dwx :D.

Hope to hear from you soon. =)

Andrea.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna answer to Zanshin.

Firsto of all I appreciate your compliments.

You underlined the fact that there are some techniques of jujitsu that i affirmed we don't know well. It's right in part, it is not the fact that we do not know them well, because my sensei is either a 3rd dan of jujitsu as well as a 6th dan of karate,so he explained'em us well, what I was trying to explain is that i know that my technique in doing such those techniques isn't far good enough, because I do not practice them usaually, and if you say that our jujitsu techiniques aren't good, i honestly affirm that your're right.

Obviously we don't do such those things only, we train a lot even in "traditional" karate (for what concerns katas in competitions), but sometimes it's funny tu "cut" with the same practice and change, trying to face other realities (such as jujistsu in this case), and anylize how an athlete responds to different situations than usual ones.It is really just for fun, but obviously you can dedicate yourself to this kind of demonstrations ONLY IF you already have a sufficiently good karate background (this is my opinion)

If you want this is the link of me and my team doing a kata and a bunkai http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=y3UoqJICmik that represents a more traditional exhibition (obviously this is karate sport).

Beside this I do completely understand your point, but i said it is just for fun, and in some cases, the audience needs a particular kind of demonstration to enjoy a particular "show" which is not based on karate.

Last thing to say, you talked about realistic karate...I don't know what you meant, but we practice karate as self defence but er are more involved in karate "sport" now that we have the age to compete...in my dojo the "realistic" karate, concerning the self defence, is much more practiced by adults than us for obvious reasons of time. Our style is Shito Ryu anyway.

Hope my English have been comprehensible =)

Thank you anyway, and thank you bushido man and Dwx :D.

Hope to hear from you soon. =)

Andrea.

Hi Andrea,

First can I say your English is excellent and far better than my Italian any day, so no worries.

You are correct when you say that you have to have a reasonably good understanding of Karate and an athletic ability to pull something like this off; you clearly have so well done.

We all have our own tastes and look at karate through our own personal prisms, depending on where we are with our training.

Quite frankly this sort of thing (kata comps included) is not really my cup of tea, and I see limited value in them.

But there you go, we all have our own views. Each to their own :)

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

And also, as you say, you are young and this is the time to be doing these sort of things. I never said that it wasn't.

I'm just a grumpy old man. Well... not that old. :wink:

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

I tend to agree with Zanshin about the utility of shows. But I must say this was a decent show (I'm assuming the audience wasn't MA related)

It's ok to have those acrobatic movements but I must say that you could have done better in the more traditional parts. Perhaps a little less matrix style without power and more of a tsuki that actually hits your partner. You've done it for fun but, why not karate in the bits where you got nearer to it?

Continue training and improving!

S.K.I.

Learn, don't expect to be taught.

Yeah, in fact i said that yours is a reasonable point of view, never meant to contradict you, really =)

Mine was just an explanation to what you've seen and a way to share different experiences, which i suppose, is always a good thing if made in the right way, with respect to the other person.

So thank you for what you said, nice to have had a "discussion" with you :D

Thank you again!

Andrea

If you want this is the link of me and my team doing a kata and a bunkai http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=y3UoqJICmik that represents a more traditional exhibition (obviously this is karate sport). . . .

[W]e practice karate as self defence but er are more involved in karate "sport" now that we have the age to compete...in my dojo the "realistic" karate, concerning the self defence, is much more practiced by adults than us for obvious reasons of time.

The presentation was a very enjoyable one, Andrea; it had a bit of everything included, which is a crowd pleaser. As you said, it's karate sport, but that can be the fun part of it, especially if you're younger.

You mentioned that you practice karate as self-defense, which means that your instructor balances the two. Many other schools could take a page from your instructor's book.

Speaking as a man in middle-age, one of the reasons adult men may be interested more in self-defense other than time (although you're right to mention time as a factor), is that we realize that we're more likely to be targets, or less likely to be capable of defending ourselves, than we were when we were younger. Those who prey on others are cowards, looking for whom they perceive to be the easiest targets for a robbery, and the gray hair and balding scalp (as I have) can be interpreted as a target in their minds. I think this is why the assistant instructor at the dojang where I train has worked on certain street applications/variations with me.

How long did it take for you and your team to prepare for this demonstation, Andrea? It must have been months.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Self defense speaking I agree with you all.

I understand how much important it is, obviously.

My sensei in fact thinks that it is more reasonable to teach self defense to the adults ( and in particular to women) than to young guys, which should obviously have less preoccupations living their youth without the shadow of the aggression.

It would be great if everyone know how to defend themeselves, but it would be greater if anyone would attack anyone else...so anyone should need to defen himself...right?

(I hope i've been comprehensible =) )

Anyway joesteph...to invent and practice this "bunkai" we worked for nearly a month, yeah.

I have to say that the hardest part is to invent it than to perform.

As it is for the "traditional" bunkai of the katas, it is us who invent them, our master says that he trusts on us, so he only analyzes our ultimate work, and in the case there's something which doesn't fits (you know, science fiction techniques or something which is completely wrong), he gives us advices.

So doing it all by ourselves, we are involved for a little more time than if we had just to learn and perform an already made bunkai.

It's nice to share our ideas, this is a really good forum.

Thank you very much, for any other question i'm here ^^