• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fighting a bodybuilder

This probably has to do with hitting the jaw properly, and leading to concussions. If you can jam a palm onto the chin, you can get good results. If you come at the jaw from angles underneath and upwards, you can get good results, too.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My advice is target places where mucle doesn't grow. For example: my favorite place is the face no matter how buff and big a guy gets he (or she) cannot train their face.

When I studied TKD in the past, the Senseis (husband and wife) did not permit contact sparring. However, the husband had apparently been in a few fights--and I don't think they were in tournaments--on which he based his advice to me about striking the face. He felt that, no matter how large the opponent, shots to the face in his experience can shut someone down, even if the blows aren't necessarily powerful ones. He discovered that there are people who, if hit in the face, no matter what their size, are affected more by having been hit there than the force of the punch.I realize you're focusing on the fact that there's no "bodybuilding muscle" in the face, fallenyuyu, and that that's why you think of it as a prime target, but a sensitivity to facial strikes, even if the guy's much larger than you are, seems to fit in.

There is a bit of truth to this. Heres the catch: most people dont regularly get into fights. So the dreaded "street fighter" everyones worried about doesnt brawl all that often. As such, a punch to the face jars everyone's confidence, assuming they're not used to getting hit. I've seen many people get so fired up with aggression and adrenaline just quit the fight once they get caught with a good shot to the face.

Now, who are the people this isnt going to hurt a lot? Regular fighters, that is people who actually spar full contact and get hit in the face. (You can practice punching and kicking all you want- if you havent gotten hit in the face by someone trying to ko you, you're not used to getting hit). The other type would be athletes of contact sports. Football, Rugby, Ice Hockey, and those types of athletes eat physical contact every day. Taking a hit is nothing new to them.

The other type would be athletes of contact sports. Football, Rugby, Ice Hockey, and those types of athletes eat physical contact every day. Taking a hit is nothing new to them.

I agree. My middle brother played football, and contact was not a big deal to him. I wondered if I could ever hurt him.

MMA_Jim brings up something I'd like to pursue a little further. I find on discussions that folks seem to assume one should train for fighting Randy Coture at the local hangout on Friday night or the latest super Ninja in the alley behind the local store. I'd posit that this scenario is highly unlikely and wonder if the discussion should be centered around more likelier scenarios?

Secondly, if one does happen to get into such a scenario then why in the world would you fight someone bigger, heavier, younger, faster, better conditioned, better trained hand to hand, instead of picking him off with a bullet in the back from a scoped rifle from 600 meters out while he's on the pot with his pants down reading the newspaper :brow: ? (Hyperbole aside, point being why would anyone fight hand to hand if the odds are really good you'd lose?)

[P]oint being why would anyone fight hand to hand if the odds are really good you'd lose?

If you look back at the OP, John, Ghostfighter was speaking about defeating someone not only larger and stronger, but intimidating when he gets angry. That last notation made me realize he was speaking about someone in particular.

My response to him (posting on p. 2) was:

You don't defeat him. You strike at whatever is vital to his mobility with as much force as possible, and then you get out of there. . . . No need to fight him; hit him, hit him hard, then take off. Call the police on him; one look at the guy and they'll be on your side. Maybe a night in jail will make him avoid you.

I think we got wrapped up in how to take Godzilla apart, meaning the thread got off on a tangent. But it has been interesting.

:karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

It has been said but LEGS LEGS LEGS. Especially if they are significantly taller than you you shouldn't go 'headhunting' (speaking from experience), but go for lower strikes and throws/takedowns. If you can get them on the ground that can really work to your advantage as well if you know what you are doing when it comes to groundfighting.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

• 3 weeks later...

One of my mates who is a body builder got attacked at the train station just before Christmas. A bunch of guys jumped him, they didn't take his phone or wallet, just wanted to beat him up. At least one of the guys was punching him in the stomach and he thought to himself that this guy can keep going all day, It's not hurting me at all. He defended himself the best he could and when he got the opportunity, he attempted his escape. When he got to a large set of stairs on of the attackers caught up and kicked him in the back of the knee. he fell all the way down dislocating and tearing up his knee. I think this was on Xmas Eve because he didn't end up getting stitched up for about 30 hours after it happened. He's very lucky, if he had inured an inch or two higher he would have had permanent damage to his quad and wouldn't have been able to lift alot of weights meaning he wouldn't be able to compete anymore.

I'm glad that your friend was ok. That is crazy. It sounds like the core training that he did helped him out there. But being overwhelmed by numbers is tough to overcome, no matter how big, tough, or skilled one is.

He defended himself the best he could and when he got the opportunity, he attempted his escape. When he got to a large set of stairs on of the attackers caught up and kicked him in the back of the knee. he fell all the way down dislocating and tearing up his knee.

I'm sorry that your friend was attacked, Ozpunker. Some people's idea of a good time is causing harm to others--including others they don't even know.

I'd say that one lesson I'm gathering from this is that if you do manage to break away, be careful that the attacker isn't behind you with your back turned. I'm not faulting your friend; I'm seeing that distancing yourself can be tricky, and it may mean escaping by moving half-sideways, to keep an eye on your adversary(ies).

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Indeed joesteph.

We played a game in class where we yucked tags into the back of our belts. The goal was to try and steal the tags from the other students. You try to concentrate on getting tags back have to watch your back at the same time.