• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fighting a bodybuilder

How do you take down someone who has alot big muscles but no real fighting technique cause i dont really think that fighting technique could win over aggression and brawling fighting style when he has simply very big muscles , because just seeing him getting angry is very intimidating.

Part of that is not letting his size intimidate you.

Use his momentum against him. Hit his nose if you get the chance. The sides of the neck are probably going to be weak. If you're good at flying triangle locks, go for it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you take down someone who has alot big muscles but no real fighting technique . . .

. . . just seeing him getting angry is very intimidating.

What I'm not clear about, GhostFighter, is why you have to take him down. Do you mean to defeat him? Grapple with/subdue him?

You don't take him down, GhostFighter. You don't put yourself in any position in which he can get his hands on you. It's not his striking ability but his crushing ability you have to be concerned with.

You don't defeat him. You strike at whatever is vital to his mobility with as much force as possible, and then you get out of there. There are the throat and the knees or both to practice striking at before an altercation; there's also the nose. Practice how to hit and run. He's too strong and likely far outweighs you. No need to fight him; hit him, hit him hard, then take off. Call the police on him; one look at the guy and they'll be on your side. Maybe a night in jail will make him avoid you. Women have to go through this concern when facing an average-sized, average-strength man; you're a man facing a much stronger one. (Me? I'm a middle-aged man who no longer weight-trains, so I learn what self-defense I can to protect myself against predators half my age.)

GhostFighter, why do you say in your posting "just seeing him getting angry is very intimidating"? You're not asking a hypothetical question; you're asking about a specific person. When he approaches you, think ahead of time where the targets are; when he's close up, look him right back in the eye, even keeping your hands open in front of you, palms down, but at a 45 degree angle. This defines space and gives you a position to strike from. He'll look at your hands before looking at your legs/feet, so you're poised to kick and he doesn't realize it. Speak firmly if you need to speak, but use as few words as possible. No matter what he says or even asks, he doesn't get more than an "Uh-huh" out of you. Stay focused; his mouth is not your worry, his hands are. Don't let him touch you. If/when you need to strike, kiai/kihap from the diaphragm. Yes, kiai/kihap. Loud.

Bullies. Their minds function at such a primitive level . . .

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• 1 month later...

knees knees knees are a good idea with big guys... especially if they're not expecting and kicks. As was pointed out to me a few weeks ago, be careful of attacking his face if you don't have a good strong punch(es) behind it.... you could just end up making him more angry without doing any damage. If you want to try and use that option, go for the throat instead.

Where you end up after using a strike like this depends largely on two things. The first being how effective it was. The second being what kind of threat the individual posed.

While striking to the throat is largely considered a deadly force tactic, it does not by any means always lead to death or great bodily harm. However, I would refrain from using it except in lethal threat situations.

That being said, if you are faced with a lethal force aggressor, then the chances of you being in trouble for using such a tactic is very small. The key is actually being in one of those situations (which is by and large in our country a rare occuracne) and articulating the threat.

That being said, if you are faced with a lethal force aggressor, then the chances of you being in trouble for using such a tactic is very small. The key is actually being in one of those situations (which is by and large in our country a rare occuracne) and articulating the threat.

I agree 1000%. If don't have that level of force used against you, and you think that you'll hit them in the throat to get it over with, you might have problems come your way.

It might be slim, but if the person can determine that you in some way intentionally tried to strike his throat, then he might be able to push it onto a defense attorney that may try to press charges on you for aggravated battery or something similar. Like tallgeese said, articulating the threat that you perceived is so important. Don't just think "I'll hit him in the throat." You have to think "I hit this guy in the throat because..."

The same techniques that work against opponents of the same size generally work just as well against opponents of a larger size.

Jabs crosses and hooks all still work just as well.

Armbars and chokeholds still work just as well.

Whats the difference? You have a smaller room for error. You may make an error against someone of similar size, and it wont be as problematic. You'll get punished more accordingly against a larger opponent.

Lets talk striking- you step into your punching combinations, fire away, and then step back out of range. Making a mistake (such as not backing out, not bringing your hands back to your head fast enough) gets you hit. A bigger guy hits harder, and therefore has to hit you a fewer number of times to knock you out, as compared to someone of your size.

Lets talk grappling- I shoot in for a double leg, but I forget to keep my back arched and my opponent sprawls out to defend. This may not be as big a problem against someone my size, but when someone's 50lbs heavier, their weight will pancake me into the ground face first.

I agree with alot of the things said in this thread. My advice is target places where mucle doesn't grow. For example: my favorite place is the face no matter how buff and big a guy gets he (or she) cannot train their face. Also target the back of the knee. If you get one good low roundhouse in that place, it basically destroys his moblity, but some people can take it so be careful.

What I find that you guys forget to metion is the type of fighter you are. If you are the type which I like to call expensive fighting where you take hits and then hit back, you are going to be in trouble. But if you are good at deflecting energy or evading, then you are in good shape.

The most important thing again is courage. Without it you might as well just take hits.

My advice is target places where mucle doesn't grow. For example: my favorite place is the face no matter how buff and big a guy gets he (or she) cannot train their face.

When I studied TKD in the past, the Senseis (husband and wife) did not permit contact sparring. However, the husband had apparently been in a few fights--and I don't think they were in tournaments--on which he based his advice to me about striking the face. He felt that, no matter how large the opponent, shots to the face in his experience can shut someone down, even if the blows aren't necessarily powerful ones. He discovered that there are people who, if hit in the face, no matter what their size, are affected more by having been hit there than the force of the punch.

I realize you're focusing on the fact that there's no "bodybuilding muscle" in the face, fallenyuyu, and that that's why you think of it as a prime target, but a sensitivity to facial strikes, even if the guy's much larger than you are, seems to fit in.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu