• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Punching start point

northerndragon

Ideally, from a high guard position with both hands covering the head/face area. Never, intentionally, from anywhere lower than a high coverage position.

+1 thats pretty much how I throw mine. IF I want to hit the stomach I chance levels and drop lower so I can still punch straight with my head covered.

I'd thought about dropping down to shoot straight ahead, Adonis, but was concerned about a kick. I guess if you've got your hands and elbows in the right place, it's a sound move--and a surprise to your opponent who discovers you've "disappeared" right before his very eyes.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 thats pretty much how I throw mine. IF I want to hit the stomach I chance levels and drop lower so I can still punch straight with my head covered.

Kind of like a bob before throwing the punch?

I really liked that video. It went beyond envisioning in the mind's eye, and even corrected what an error would be (foot placement) in order to deliver a strong cross punch without overtaxing the rear knee.

This video was on the shot itself, not a combination that would accompany it. You had mentioned using it as part of a combination, Adonis. Was there a specific combination you were thinking of, or did you meant that it's just in the flurry of exchange that this is suddenly done?

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I use this type of shot quite a bit. It can be easily stacked into a double jab combo by going l ow after a blip to the chin. This will make the counter kick slightly less likely.

It's also useful for entry and exit striking. Often, I will utilze it after a string of high jabs to furter close distance. Then explode out with a cross to the head, hook series. This has worked for me and alot of other fighters as well.

It's also useful in the reverse. After throwing traditional flurry, you can exit from your diastace by dropping you center and throwing low. It's espically useful in this manner if he starts countering high with hooking punches.

Lastly, it can be used as a precursor to a shot or other takedown attempt. The natural mechanics of the strike lowers your body weight. You then simply slide forward and capatilize on your position to enter the takedown.

I use this type of shot quite a bit. It can be easily stacked into a double jab combo by going l ow after a blip to the chin. This will make the counter kick slightly less likely.

It's also useful for entry and exit striking. Often, I will utilze it after a string of high jabs to furter close distance. Then explode out with a cross to the head, hook series. This has worked for me and alot of other fighters as well.

It's also useful in the reverse. After throwing traditional flurry, you can exit from your diastace by dropping you center and throwing low. It's espically useful in this manner if he starts countering high with hooking punches.

Lastly, it can be used as a precursor to a shot or other takedown attempt. The natural mechanics of the strike lowers your body weight. You then simply slide forward and capatilize on your position to enter the takedown.

The only thing that worried me about that technique was the chance of taking some kicks to the chin in a venue when such a tactic is allowed. Other than that, I can see that you can really drive a good punch in there with this technique.

Just as a side note, it really shows how much technique there is to Boxing. It isn't just a bunch of slugging. It truly is a beautiful art to watch.

I hadn't thought of this. I'd just been thinking of it as an "entry" and not an "exit" shot.

Just as a side note, it really shows how much technique there is to Boxing. It isn't just a bunch of slugging. It truly is a beautiful art to watch.

And that's why they call it the "sweet science." :)

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu