northerndragon

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone here have a hard and fast rule about the starting point of ALL their punches?

If so, where's it beginning?

This question is not about "where" one throws a punch or what "kind", I'm strictly asking what , if any , is the BEST starting point.

Like most things within the martial arts... it depends...

The ideal position to throw your punches from, in my opinion, is around about chin height. From this position offensively you general have less distance to cover to reach the other persons face, and defensively your hand is up to protect your own face.

That being said, things arnt always ideal, so being able to throw your punches from whatever position your hand might be in (including hanging down by your side) is a good idea.

In regards to punching from the hip in basics, we do this in karate for a few reasons(most have already been explained), it is useful in achieving certain goals, but in my opinion is not a requirement for learning good punching technique.

I see. I could be wrong. When I think about the body movement, I just envision the hips rotating around the spine.

And thats the proplem with Hiki-te really, as it reinforces this if you are not careful.

Rotating around the spine is incorrect from a bio-mechanical basis, because whilst your punching hip is traveling forward, the the other is travelling backward at the same rate - which is counter productive and will remove "Kinetic" energy from the punch.

You swing a baseball bat from its end; you don't pivot it from the middle. In Physics this is referred to as a "Moment".

As Doug says, Hiki-te refers to the simultaneous withdrawing of the non punching arm.

As a compound of two Japanese words - “Higi” = elbow and “Te” = hand, it is used to focus on, and emphasise the path that the returning arm takes, by brushing the elbow along the side of the body followed by the hand – (IE via its most direct route). Elbow-Hand!

Trouble is, put too much into the Hikite and you risk forcing the opposite hip backward.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

Trouble is, put too much into the Hikite and you risk forcing the opposite hip backward.

Do you think it is a matter of timing (punching arm, retracting arm and moment of impact), rather than power?

Yes, along with correct form and Kime.

Power is fine as long as it is generated the correct way. Using force will detract from correct form.

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

TradDan, all of those things working together in concert will help create power. Hip rotation is backbone of this this however.

Zanshin "As a compound of two Japanese words - “Higi” = elbow and “Te” = hand"

I look at Higite as grapling or controlling the uke's by thier elbow or hand as you are punching. Higite also works great for finger locks.

Practice makes permanent, not perfect.

Zanshin "As a compound of two Japanese words - “Higi” = elbow and “Te” = hand"

I look at Higite as grapling or controlling the uke's by thier elbow or hand as you are punching. Higite also works great for finger locks.

Yep,

Works for me :)

Ideally, from a high guard position with both hands covering the head/face area. Never, intentionally, from anywhere lower than a high coverage position.

+1 thats pretty much how I throw mine. IF I want to hit the stomach I chance levels and drop lower so I can still punch straight with my head covered.