• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kids in the MMA?!? This has BAD written all over it. Besides, who want their kids face/head looking like Randy Couture? :P Sheech!

Kids in the MMA is BAD...IMHO!

:o

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you read this NT Times article and watch the accompanying video, Bob, it's about MMA in high school, where the maturity level (physically and mentally) is higher. There's a video that goes with it.

It's called "Mixed Martial Arts Makes Its Way to High School."

I think you'll be more approving of its introduction on this level, and it is supervised since its a school sport.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Joe,

I will, but, before I do please let me just say this. When the title of this thread says "Kids MMA", I immediately envisioned little kids, not high schoolers. So, that's why I said what I said!

Yes, I assumed, my bad!

:)

I totally disagree with young "kids" training in MMA.

For the simple reason that it doesn't instill the values (honor, discipline, and respect ) that one gets from training in traditional MA.

Just an example that actually happened to my son who trains in shotokan. This kid in his school tackled him in the hall and was choking him,when the kid let go he told my son not to mess with him because he does MMA.

I like to believe that this wouldn't have happened with a traditional martial artist,because of the values stated above.

Semper Fi , Dave

Joe,

I will, but, before I do please let me just say this. When the title of this thread says "Kids MMA", I immediately envisioned little kids, not high schoolers. So, that's why I said what I said!

Yes, I assumed, my bad!

Sorry, Bob, but you're right. It is about little ones in MMA, as the OP by DWx says. I've re-read my response to you, and I was referring to the article being about MMA and high school, not (in re-reading I can see that it can be taken another way) the topic.

This is from DWx's OP, and she has something to say about it if you'd like to go to p. 1:

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=5615095

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Kids in the MMA?!? This has BAD written all over it. Besides, who want their kids face/head looking like Randy Couture? :P Sheech!

Kids in the MMA is BAD...IMHO!

:o

I agree...no way, no how, bad idea for obvious reasons.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

I agree...no way, no how, bad idea for obvious reasons.

I think Tiger's right when she says "for obvious reasons." It should be a no brainer because it's self-evident.

In my philosophy class, we talk about "self-evident," and it seems to be that it's a great phrase to use among like-minded people, but it's a bust with others.

What is going on in the minds of the parents?

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Irregardless if it's little kids or high schoolers, MMA shouldn't be taught as we see it in the UFC and the like with all of the trauma. MMA properly taught in the high school is nothing more than schoolastic wrestling with extra ingredients, imho. Yes, there's more to MMA than schoolastic wrestling because of the mixed martial arts that might be taught: judo, bjj, and the like.

If these high schoolers are allowed to "get-it-on" like they do in the UFC, for example, then I draw the line there and I say...NO WAY!!!! Save that for adulthood! Besides, I don't think that any school district administrators are going to allow that, and hopefully I'm not wrong in my assumption there.

For the simple reason that it doesn't instill the values (honor, discipline, and respect ) that one gets from training in traditional MA.

Just an example that actually happened to my son who trains in shotokan. This kid in his school tackled him in the hall and was choking him,when the kid let go he told my son not to mess with him because he does MMA.

I like to believe that this wouldn't have happened with a traditional martial artist,because of the values stated above.

This has more to do with the values, or lack thereof, of what the kid learns at home, than what the kid learned at an MMA school. Wrestling gets on just fine at the high school level, and MMA could too, given the right setup and rules enforcements.

Isolating and incident like this, and blaming it on MMA is like islolating a criminal carrying a gun, and then taking away the right to carry firearms for the general public. What happens it that the public is in greater danger then, because they have to jump through hoops to carry legally, where a criminal is going to carry regardless. Restricting an activity like this kind of falls along the same lines, in my mind.

This has more to do with the values, or lack thereof, of what the kid learns at home, than what the kid learned at an MMA school. Wrestling gets on just fine at the high school level, and MMA could too, given the right setup and rules enforcements.

Isolating and incident like this, and blaming it on MMA is like islolating a criminal carrying a gun, and then taking away the right to carry firearms for the general public. What happens it that the public is in greater danger then, because they have to jump through hoops to carry legally, where a criminal is going to carry regardless. Restricting an activity like this kind of falls along the same lines, in my mind.

I'm just saying that when these kids watch TUF and see how most of the fighters disrespect each other with trash talking (ala WWE) and what not.They think it's fine to treat other people that way,and since MMA is a sport,and like other sports it's all about winning,there are no values like ( honor discipline and respect )being taught. Even though these values should also be taught in the home.

Semper Fi , Dave