HardampSoft

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing needs to be considered here... sparring has very little to do with real world application of martial arts.

I can agree with you that sparring isn't the same as real world, Doug, but I wouldn't go so far as to say very little. When I started doing sparring as safe as non-contact, I was alerted as to how my fighting skills had declined. Doing non-contact has been far better for me in terms of even the basic watching out for incoming and firing away with precision.

Most of the points that you would hit in a true self defense situation are illegal for sparring.

I have to agree with you there. We practice self-defense techniques under controlled situations, but we don't apply them in a tournament; what we do in a tournament (a controlled battleground?) limits not only where we strike but even the manner of striking (such as not to use a spear hand).

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

One thing needs to be considered here... sparring has very little to do with real world application of martial arts. Most of the points that you would hit in a true self defense situation are illegal for sparring.

sparring is the closest thing to real world application.. because you are fighting a fully resisting opponent..

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

I think both of you are right. It just depends on how the sparring is done.

If you are trying to mimic the effects of real world combat and are training fairly realistically, then yes- it is closer to the real thing.

If your not taking it seriously and/or using movements that you'd never really run into on the street, then no- it has very little to do with it.

I agree that the fully resisting opponant is key to realistic training. I like to do a hybrid drill where an attacker get armored up and really attacks, not spars with, his opponant. I mean really try to get him.. then have the trainee defend. It's very useful.

Sparring is an excellent tool for experiencing someone really trying to hit you and, in fact, getting hit. It also trains you for to deal with high-stress situations. But don't be fooled into thinking that sparring equates to street fighting. Very few real altercations involve standing toe-to-toe with an opponent and fighting with rules.

Depends on what rule sets you are using to spar. I'm a fan of utilizing different types of training for different purpses.

Now, for simulatin sparring, you should be using very few "off limits" movements. Groin kicks, controled kicks to the outside of the knee joints, ect. They should all be on. The use of racketball goggles can even let you work eye gouges under specific conditions. This can be an incredably useful tool for learning sd skills.

Again, anything that lets you deal with a resisting opponant is very useful in the big picture.

That does sound more realistic, and I agree that anytime you train against a risisting opponent is useful.

I have to give you credit... if you are able to completely control techniques thrown to vital areas in a sparring situation when you can not predict your opponents movement, you are very good.

You have to use the term "complete" with some latitute :) .

Still, the effort is defintly worth the payoff in terms of realitic training. The other very worthwhile expenditure is good protective gear. A good heavy duty boxing groin protector is a must. And depending on the drill, some sort of head protection is advisable. Caged headgear works well for some things, as i said, goggles can be excellet training tools. Obviously, now you're going to have to cut back of the contact levels to the head. It's all about dressing to train particular facets of your game.

Defenders (and preferably attackers) should wear knee and elbow protection for this type of thing as well as contact does happen.

I should additionally say, this isn't training you should do every night you train. It can take a toll and should be used judiciously.