• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I caught my Grand Master Smoking

Jesus, this is the oldest thread I've ever seen reopened...I don't even recognize half the names on it. :D

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My girlfriend was a competitive figure skater, and she smoked for ten years. She just quit last year. She smoked for the same reason many dancers and models and actresses smoke...to keep her weight down.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Well, sometimes people do smoke. My grandad told me that smoking is good for your health, he said that when my dad was having a few of his own cigs, but I don't take that as a complimante.

A karate punch it is like a dasvasted stick blow. Instead, a blow of Kung Was is comparable to a lash with a chain that has attacked, allaltra extremity one ball of ferro

• 4 months later...

Your master should not smoke. An instructor is supposed to be a role model. A person can smoke and do karae-I have no problem with that- but then don't be an instructor. Besides from not smoking, instructors should also enter the karate school in appropriate clothing(dockers and a golf shirt) even if they have to keep it in the back of their car. If instructor's don't do these things, they will loose their respect from the parents and students.

• 1 month later...

Looking at page 1 in the replies, I agree that setting a good example is important. I must say, it is hard to tell a kid "Do as I say, not as I do". On the other hand, I must say that it would be a good idea for insturctors, whether they smoke or not, to encourage younger students not to do it. Lets not preach about it one way or the other in class, except to suggest that a non smoker tends to be healthier than a smoker and so on.

Adult students are a different matter. If they smoke, that is their business and none of mine. I have one hard and fast rule about smokers. no one but no one smokes in my dojo. I myself have smoked in the past and I included myself in that rule. My instructor smokes and he does not do so in my dojo. He actually helps me maintain that rule. Also no teacher under my auspices nor I have ever and never will in the future, smoke during class or take time out of a class to step out for a smoke. I have been down the nicotine road and I know that it is difficult to quit. Those things are designed for the purpose of addicting you. Its' obviously best to quit but if you can't or wont for whatever reason, then as a teacher, you should have at least enough restraint to wait until your class is over.

When I was a regular smoker, I did it well after class and after my duties in the dojo were done. That also enabled me to cut down and eventually quit. If I was busy with students, I did not have time to take a smoke break and therfore, I needed the nicotine less and less. But thats me.

I wis to say one more thing. I do not by any means sit upon a high horse as I write this stuff. If you are a regular smoker, I know it is a struggle not to. I even know that at least some of you are thinking "I really ought to quit this". Then what happens during a quiet moment. Yep, out comes the lighter and that's that. been there, done that. Don't pressure yourself. At least you can say this much. A hard workout will maybe not halt the effects of smoking but you can at least slow them. Do remember though that cigarettes will slow the process of your workouts and you won't get the same results as you would if you did not smoke. i only menathis in good will. Remeber, smokers, I've been there. Non-smokers, never-have, never-willers, please bear with those that have. Its' more difficult than you realize to drop a habit like that one.

This is doing my head in...most of us wouldn't think twice about punching each other's lights out and yet......lol

Oh and another thing, the very best person to advise you not to smoke is someone who's been there.

• 1 month later...
Upon becomming a teacher we take it upon ourselves to set a certin example.

None of us are without sin. Then as Jesus said let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Now I don't think smoking is a sin I mean Moses did not put that down as the 11th comandments. However NEVER ask your students to do anything you won't. You can not say don't smoke and light up after class.

Bottom line is we all have flaws. However this is like the Pastor of a church going to the stip bar or the school teacher doing drugs. When we put ourselves in the public eye we are expected to live up to a certin standard. LIke it or not. Yeah we are role models....

However don't disrespect the man because he has one tragic flaw......

Good point