• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I caught my Grand Master Smoking

Yes, I know Grand Masters have personal lives. I'm an instructor and I used to smoke myself. My growth in Tae kwon Do halted and went downhill, upon getting addicted to cigarettes. I quit now, because I just couldn't grow physically and mentally in my Tae kwon do training while being a prisoner of Nicotine. In addition it was not setting a good example for my students. Although I was a smoker, I feel uneasy that my Grand Master is a hypocrite. He believes in promoting "physical health", and "mental well-being".

[ This Message was edited by: koreantiger81 on 2002-06-23 00:31 ]

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally have never smoked or even tried it for that matter. However, I do feel that any instructor should not smoke for the exact reasons you stated. As a Master esp. you should show restraint and strength in saying no to pressure of society.

Pete

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

Your Master smokes, it's his life. It's not like he's smoking while he teaches (I hope).

I'm sure people here drink, and that can be seen as a negative as well. Do you fault fellow students or masters for having a beer? Not really a big difference.

Upon becomming a teacher we take it upon ourselves to set a certin example.

None of us are without sin. Then as Jesus said let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Now I don't think smoking is a sin I mean Moses did not put that down as the 11th comandments. However NEVER ask your students to do anything you won't. You can not say don't smoke and light up after class.

Bottom line is we all have flaws. However this is like the Pastor of a church going to the stip bar or the school teacher doing drugs. When we put ourselves in the public eye we are expected to live up to a certin standard. LIke it or not. Yeah we are role models....

However don't disrespect the man because he has one tragic flaw......

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

On 2002-06-22 23:21, Iron Arahat wrote:

Your Master smokes, it's his life. It's not like he's smoking while he teaches (I hope).

I'm sure people here drink, and that can be seen as a negative as well. Do you fault fellow students or masters for having a beer? Not really a big difference.

Yes, it is his life....How can you compare "having a drink" and smoking as not really a big difference??? :???:

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

Koreantiger I compare drinking and smoking, because they are both legalized pastimes, and both have negative health affects.

Also both are not necesssarily tolerated by others. Just to look at it from a different viewpoint that's all.

Role model or not, he's not breaking the law, and he's not hurting anyone but himself (unless he's smoking in class).

My master (TSD) smoked. Did I hate him for it? No. It didn't affect the way he taught. I didn't hold it against him, because he didn't tell me not to do it when he did.

My master now drinks on occasion. Do I hate him for it? No, because like the one above. It doesn't affect the way he teaches, and he doesn't tell me not to do it when he does.

I think that's fair. As long as they don't tell you not to do it when they do, or don't do it while teaching, I don't see a problem with it. They are human, not gods. No one is perfect.

Laurie S.

Yellow belt/green stripe TKD

(formally 5th gup blue belt TSD)

[ This Message was edited by: karatekid1975 on 2002-06-23 22:39 ]

Laurie F