• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Jack-of-all-trades, Master of none..."

The biggest advantage a good MMA gym has over cross training on your own is that they know how to intergrate skills. They have a structure for "mixing" the the arts.

Most people cross training don't have that advantage. They train in one art, and another and have to figure out how to intergrate them together. That takes a lot of work, and a much better understanding of at least one of the arts. Then you can look at how to add things in from that view point. That is where the strength of that good base comes in at. For a lot of people that's a much better plan than trying to just hit a school here and another there and trying to figure both out, and how they work together as they go.

Great point. However there are those who claim to be MMA instructors thinking all they had to do was mix or learn separate methods

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's where you have to be able to tell the difference in the products that you are looking at, so you know what you are getting.

For someone new to training, telling the difference can be very difficult. And it's a real danger that someone can dress up an ad'hoc mixture of arts is there.

Having someone you trust, who has experience, help you check out a school is ideal. If not, checking it out yourself, doing your research becomes more vital than ever.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

For someone new to training, telling the difference can be very difficult. And it's a real danger that someone can dress up an ad'hoc mixture of arts is there.

Having someone you trust, who has experience, help you check out a school is ideal. If not, checking it out yourself, doing your research becomes more vital than ever.

This is bascially what I stated in my previous post. However, I would tend to think people nowadyas have the determination to research or check upon siad school and/or instructor.

The hard thing to do, is actually determine qaulity with so many variables and no set standards .

Edited by RichardZ

I think that as time goes by, though, and one gains more experience, then one can begin to see the writing on the wall when it comes to good and bad. No, this isn't ideal, but it all comes around eventually.

I think that as time goes by, though, and one gains more experience, then one can begin to see the writing on the wall when it comes to good and bad. No, this isn't ideal, but it all comes around eventually.

"IF" one gains "sense". Experience is nothing to do with it. In other words one can be getting the WRONG experience. Blind following and peers pressure takes its toll.