• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can you say dork?

Truestar

Not really Martial Art related, but it happened at our school today.

So here I am watching all of our Little Ninjas getting a stripe and one mom is standing about 6 feet away. She starts congratulating on my recent promotion and puts out her hand. So here I am thinking she wants to shake my hand, right? Well no not exactly, I think she was more using her hands to talk as she goes on about conversations the other parents were having about noticing the new uniform and belt. So now we're maybe 3 feet apart and both our hands and still extended. Either way I'm going to look like a complete dork. So I'm not exactly sure what I did but our hands met awkwardly and I kind of shook it. My instructor knew I was having a weird moment so he just smiles and brings up a new topic, somewhat saving me.

How on Earth are you supposed to rescue yourself from that situation? I'm embarrassed thinking about it now. :lol:

Life goes on, but wow, I need to work on my body work analysis. :roll:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

She starts congratulating on my recent promotion and puts out her hand. So here I am thinking she wants to shake my hand, right? Well no not exactly, I think she was more using her hands to talk . . .

I'm embarrassed thinking about it now. . . .

You list yourself as a student, Truestar, so I'm wondering about your age. Perhaps still in your twenties? I find younger people more prone to embarrassment about social situations/happenings like this than persons in middle age. (I'm 56.)

Lots of people talk with their hands, and I've found that women tend to do so more than men do, not simply to emphasize what they're saying, but to help them express themselves. She was excited about how well things were going with the Little Ninjas, and she was very comfortable talking with you. The "handshake" you consider awkward is actually something she probably told someone about later on, and I'll bet they had a good laugh.

You didn't offend her and, rather than be embarrassed, try to laugh about it. The next time you see her, don't act any differently; just be your usual, charming self.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Not really Martial Art related, but it happened at our school today.

So here I am watching all of our Little Ninjas getting a stripe and one mom is standing about 6 feet away. She starts congratulating on my recent promotion and puts out her hand. So here I am thinking she wants to shake my hand, right? Well no not exactly, I think she was more using her hands to talk as she goes on about conversations the other parents were having about noticing the new uniform and belt. So now we're maybe 3 feet apart and both our hands and still extended. Either way I'm going to look like a complete dork. So I'm not exactly sure what I did but our hands met awkwardly and I kind of shook it. My instructor knew I was having a weird moment so he just smiles and brings up a new topic, somewhat saving me.

How on Earth are you supposed to rescue yourself from that situation? I'm embarrassed thinking about it now. :lol:

Life goes on, but wow, I need to work on my body work analysis. :roll:

Truestar - I wouldn't stress about it --- awkward social situations such as this (and worse) happen to BOTH men and women of ALL AGES. Happens to me, happens to others and it will happen again. Such is life.

Chalk it up to a weird moment and that's all; and I'm sure it's happened to her as well. ;)

No worries.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

I came home to dinner and laughed it off with my parents so it's not something to stress about. I just have never been in a situation like that before as I'm still in my teen years. I have no doubt something like that will happen again though. :lol:

I came home to dinner and laughed it off with my parents so it's not something to stress about. I just have never been in a situation like that before as I'm still in my teen years. I have no doubt something like that will happen again though. :lol:

I'm glad you laughed it off. Yes, it will probably happen again and have no fear, it happens to us older / old folks too. At least, to me it does.

:D :) :nod:

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

Usually when I get caught in an awkward moment, I just bring it to the other persons attention in a joking matter, and laugh about it. I unfortunately do stuff like that all the time.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.