• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wanna Learn Mhuay Thai Badly!! PLease Post begginning Techn.

yea i really do, but i think i kinda already learned some mhuay thai, i know how to do boxing jab correctly, and upper cut, and hook punch correct also

iluvmartialartskajukenbousansoomooyeadokarate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

round houses... practice the Muay Thai Roundhouse a lot and then do it some more and some more... lots of shin conditioning!! fyi, be careful on the conditioning..practice the "clinch" as well, knees, elbows and stuff like that.. Muay Thai doesn't have "secret katas" or techniques.. its all about using your fist, elbows, knees and legs..

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

Why not concentrate on Moo Yea Do first?

Josh is making a good point here, MooYeaDoKID. Rather than float from art to art, dabbling rather than learning, and perhaps being a "jack of all trades and master of none," concentrate on Moo Yea Do. This doesn't mean not to learn from other arts (how many martial artists watch UFC but don't train that way?), but not to overemphasize them in your training as a martial artist.

Personally, I think the Muay Thai roundhouse kick against the opponent's legs and ribs is a super shot. I've practiced that kick against the training bag, and I can see how it gets in under the elbow of the opponent to slam away at the body, but I haven't given up my Korean art, Soo Bahk Do, or abandoned the roundhouse kick that I've been taught. You might even like practicing the Superman punch; I know I do, if only for the simple enjoyment of it, a diversion from the training I usually do.

This goes right into learning from other styles while still focusing on your own. There are many martial artists who concentrate on one art until at least reaching dan level before making a commitment to another art, and yet they may have taken from different arts while climbing the ladder to that dan level.

In my book, concentrating on one while enjoying both is the way to go, and I'd suggest that the "one" remain Moo Yea Do.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

There are books and videos out there that can give you ideas on Muay Thai training. If you have a gym in your area, you may consider checking it out. Training it by yourself, with some partners who have no experience in it, will most likely leave you with a superficial idea of what it is about at best. However, the more you study and learn, then the better prepared you can be when you get the chance to train it.

Best ultra secret martial art technique: Train under a good instructor that teaches it.

2nd best ultra secret martial art technique: get some roots, get at least the equivalent of a 1st dan in something before cross training.

If you don't want to take my advice, you won't progress much, no lie.

I couldn't agree more about training under a qualified instructor.

On the second point of cross training, I do disagree a bit. I think a good base certainly makes learning new combative skills easier. However, I think cross training could esialy occur prior to bb level considering most systems float around 4 yrs or so to bb.

Not to mention, tons of mma focused schools are cross training almost immediately with excellent results. I think that the training methodologies used for mma comeptitive purposes can eaily be adapted to serve sd focused students as well. Thus allowing them to progress along quicker and more efficiently.

Best ultra secret martial art technique: Train under a good instructor that teaches it.

2nd best ultra secret martial art technique: get some roots, get at least the equivalent of a 1st dan in something before cross training.

When you answered the original post, I thought to myself that that's how I felt, myself. I noticed you have Jocky Gym Muay Thai in your MA background, which I'm not familiar with.

I also saw in your posting Ft. Bragg, and your profile says the military. I read an article in the NY Times about how all branches of the military have had boxing as a tradition, but now MMA is coming in. The article focused on the army.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

When you answered the original post, I thought to myself that that's how I felt, myself. I noticed you have Jocky Gym Muay Thai in your MA background, which I'm not familiar with.

I also saw in your posting Ft. Bragg, and your profile says the military. I read an article in the NY Times about how all branches of the military have had boxing as a tradition, but now MMA is coming in. The article focused on the army.

Jockeygym is a famous camp that used to exist in Thailand but no longer does. It's known for making orthadox fighters fight in southpaw to confuse opponents. In the Army, we have modern army combatives which kind of has a MMA focus but I'd say more BJJ but also focuses on using other techniques against a opponent that has a knife, rifle, etc. It goes up to level 4 with 4 being the highest. For some people depending on their job it's required training and for others it's optional but everyone in the Army gets at least a small taste of it in basic/"boot camp" and possibly in their AIT(job training).

Crosstraining is very bad for a beginner if they're doing something like Karate and boxing...TKD and Muay Thai, and so on. However, if the instructor is teaching them both arts at the same time it can be done. Muangsurin camp in Thailand and some other Thai thaiboxing camps taught TKD and Muay Thai together(i.e. Master Toddy and Master Sken). If someone does something like boxing and wrestling or muay thai and bjj, it won't effect them as a beginner. If you were to do kempo, karate, tkd and than train muay thai at some other school and don't have any roots you're only doing yourself harm.

I came into Muay Thai, myself when I was already a shodan in shito and goju and temporarily "forgot" my karate as much as I could so I could learn the muay thai. I also trained in Muay thai for 3-5 hours 5-6 days a week for the first year and had two fights within my first year so I was somewhat committed more so than the person that trains 3 hours a week. Once I felt I was catching onto muay thai did I start to intergrate or combine my karate with it. I did this all my jr. year of highschool, too..and I'm 29 now.

I know I'm getting off the topic here...but once I was able to integrate muay thai and my more "classical" karate was I given a crash course in knockdown karate and literally given a shodan in a knockdown style of karate to fight in Enshin and kyokushin tournaments. It was very easy to make that transition for me coming from point fighting karate to muay thai and than to knockdown kumite. Real karate as I like to call it, is very similar to all styles of Karate, it's just how it's emphasized is what seperates it and makes it a different ryu/kai/kan.

Have fun in your training.

I couldn't agree more about training under a qualified instructor.

On the second point of cross training, I do disagree a bit. I think a good base certainly makes learning new combative skills easier. However, I think cross training could esialy occur prior to bb level considering most systems float around 4 yrs or so to bb.

Not to mention, tons of mma focused schools are cross training almost immediately with excellent results. I think that the training methodologies used for mma comeptitive purposes can eaily be adapted to serve sd focused students as well. Thus allowing them to progress along quicker and more efficiently.

Agreed. I think that cross training can be very beneficial, even early on in a Martial Arts career. I would say that going with a standing style and then a grappling style would be the best way to go.