• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Switching Styles

Chikara

Well, this is my very 1st post on here, so, hi all! :D

I've been doing Isshinryu 2 years now, only brown belt. But, in a few months, I'm going to switch to a hybrid martial art (aiki jiu-jitsu, aikido, judo, systema, krav maga) hopefully within a month or 2.

I can't wait to switch because I'm sick of kata and need something useful (I'm very small). Also, the sensei is very egotistical and controlling as well as a few black belts in the dojo. :evil:

Anyways, I looked up karate forums and found this and can't believe it also includes every style there is! This forum is sweet!

Chikara

karate es el amor de mi vida.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thanks!

I've been doing a bit of exploring on here and it's great! I like that it's a very mature forum, also most people actually back what they say up with fact.

Chikara

Welcome to the Forums! :karate: I hope that you find what you are looking for in the new dojo. Perhaps some more open-minded individuals to help you in your training.

Thanks! I'm sure lots of people on here have lots of cool ideas. I can't wait to see the rest of the forum. I stayed up late checking out as much as I could before mom kicked me out for the morning. :lol:

I already found the perfect dojo. It's got a very spiritual atmosphere when you walk in, but they train in combatives (i.e. low light, no light, multiple attackers, weapons, etc.) And almost all of it is presented like a game, it's really fun! :D

In my current dojo, we're not allowed to even research different styles. We learn 1 kata per rank (belt factory, just not with money). Sensei reigns supreme in the dojo. And there's a lot of chauvinism there too "A woman who's trained probably wouldn't win against even an untrained man in the street". I wish I could show him just how wrong he is. :evil: (God! I love this smiley!)

Chikara

In my current dojo, we're not allowed to even research different styles. We learn 1 kata per rank (belt factory, just not with money).

This is typical for most schools/styles that use a belt ranking system. It doesn't necessarily make it a "belt factory." It does make it a curriculum based system, though, and they use the forms and belts as indicators of knowledge.

At any rate, if you like the new school, then stick with it, and keep us posted on your training!

Thanks! I'm sure lots of people on here have lots of cool ideas. I can't wait to see the rest of the forum. I stayed up late checking out as much as I could before mom kicked me out for the morning. :lol:

I already found the perfect dojo. It's got a very spiritual atmosphere when you walk in, but they train in combatives (i.e. low light, no light, multiple attackers, weapons, etc.) And almost all of it is presented like a game, it's really fun! :D

In my current dojo, we're not allowed to even research different styles. We learn 1 kata per rank (belt factory, just not with money). Sensei reigns supreme in the dojo. And there's a lot of chauvinism there too "A woman who's trained probably wouldn't win against even an untrained man in the street". I wish I could show him just how wrong he is. :evil: (God! I love this smiley!)

Hello Chikara, and welcome to KarateForums.com.

While there IS much to be said about the value of Kata, and traditional Karate training, it sounds like, in your particular situation, it is a belt factory.

If your teacher legitimately does not allow you to research other styles, combined with the chauvinistic attitude, it may be a good idea to find a new place to train ;-)

best wishes,

--josh