• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Alot of what dosn't work is, suprisining, mindset training that's given (again, there are exceptions, I'm talking generalities here). Most of your typical refresher class of cops don't want to be there and wouldn't be if they had their chance. Alot of them have the "just shoot it" mentality and refuse to accept that being better at hand to hand will be benifical, despite the fact they grab people every day to put cuffs on them.

This attitude leaches into the training staff who just want to get done without getting beefed by any of the 20 year guys for ruffing them up. Not to mention, administrations are afraid of everything from lost time due to injuries and law suits for injuries, so they've already hamstrung their training department in regards to the intensity that they are allowed to bring to the line troops during their mandeated refreshers.

That's the framework for the major problem that most departments face. Now we move on into the acutal systems themselves.

Lot's of these are designed with really great moves, but they are complicated to learn and maintain, regardless of how they are touted. This means that students might get it for the tests, but arent going to maintain the skills for day to day use. I've seen plenty of programs like this based out of joint locking systems.

On the other side, I've seen the "bottom denominator" kind of programs that don't offer any flexability to what they do and don't address major concerns cops should have.

Get stuck with either of these at a department level and your in trouble from an operational standpoint. Now, no one does or can make work your program, so everyone starts pig pileing people and spraying everything in sight.

So bottom line, more than any thing, it's a attitute problem on some ends and an intensity problem on the other. There are some bad programs but by and large it's the training methods that hurt cop training the most. Now couple this (poor methodology) with limited training time and you begin to see what can happen.

Now, you asked what I've seen that worked well.

I've had luck with small joint manip in certain settings. This is great for getting people out of cars and moving less than highly motivated attackers where you want them to go.

I like getting bad guys on the ground because they are easier to cuff there and they are generally less dangerous there. Don't laugh, the full body tackle is a great option in most cases. I work from an underhook on my gun side quite a bit because I can set up good takedowns from there and still keep his hand on that side away from my gun.

Above all, you've got to maintain control of the weapon.

Sprawling has come in handy alot. Learn to counter off it.

I have to give Tony Blauer props, his SPEAR tactic work wonders for clearing distance to get to a weapon. On a slightly related note, get used to stiff arming guys that you can't throw on ground yet to keep them at a distance.

Those are just my personal observations. Your milage may vary. As for incorporating what you already do into you performance, just keep it within your use of force rules and general orders and you should be fine. Just don't cross out of those parameters and about anything will be ok at the end of the day. I've seen very few commanders who will care if you use "department approved tactics" to subdue an individual trying to fight you. Just be able to articulate you use of force decisions.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Night Owl, if you're interested PM me and i can give you my opinions of specific DT programs out there that I've seen or been involved with.