• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Minimum Requirement for First Degree

That's a pretty cool setup, tallgeese. It sounds like you have a lot of autonomy in your school. It really fosters the student to truly find their own way.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks bushido man. It is really nice having a very independant exsistance. And it is nice to see fighters develop along their own lines of intrest.

On the down side, it's hard to get anything done at an orgainzational level. Seminars are diffuclt to manage with no real central authority.

Give and take on that front I guess. So, who else can chime in? I always find these types of threads interesting.

Well to pass 1st dan for us you need to score above a certain percentage on the whole test (can't remember what that is) and no less than a certain percentage on each component.

You have to:

- perform all the patterns from white belt to your current grade then the examiner picks two for you to be formally marked on and you do them again (usually your current form and the one below).

- step sparring, 1-step, 2-step, 3-step. We only have one set routine for each, the rest of what you do should demonstrate the applications of your forms (sort of bunkai).

- Hosin Sul (self defense), examiner specifies what they want to see but you are allowed to pick your own partner if you want so most of the stuff here is pre-arranged. Examiner can specify the type of attack and can ask you to do different defenses: block/parry-counter, takedown etc.

- free sparring, basically spar everybody there and/or other higher grades until the examiner has seen enough.

- 2-onto-1 (sometimes 3-onto-1) sparring, usually a couple of bouts.

- breaking, examiner can request breaks but usually you can pick your own. Have to have 1 leg, 1 hand technique at least. Also do a "special" break which can be something jumping or a speed break or a power break.

- written theory test on history, terminology, basic physics/mechanics, can also be asked these on the spot at the grading

- have to submit a short thesis on any aspect of TKD or MA or a piece on what TKD means to you / how its changed you.

- + whatever else the examiner feels like asking you to do

To be eligible to grade you have to attend a pre grading with out Master and have attended the annual blackbelt seminar with him once that year.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

For us, and I have to try to keep previous requirements seperate from newer ones now inplace.

2 basic kata

4 Heian, 1 Pinan kata

2 Tikki, 1 Nihanchi

Passi and one other kata{swear I cannot remember)

timed 2 mile run. 2 3min rounds each of push ups and set ups(1 of each before and after the run is how I think we're keeping it)

Preform all self defense techniques in a rote manner, with extensions.

Preform self defense spontainously against randoms attacks.

Demonstrate the basic throws and joint manipulations both seperately and as part of the spontainous self defense.

Use of Basic submissions, tack downs and take down defense.

Period of drilling the basics to demonstrate seperate technique,{an hours worth}

Several rounds of grappling. Stand up sparring and then full range rounds as well. Usually done at the end when everyone is good and...warmed up(tired) and lose(barely able to hold up their hands).

A period of teaching by one of the testing instructors was added into this mix as well to gauge ability to absorb and communicate techniques with each other. Last a couple of hours of throwing,getting thrown, twisting and hitting and getting hit.

Good fun day of work. The 1st Kyu and black belt tests were very close in set up. The content was about the same. The intensity and scope, as well as some new material, was required for the black belt though.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

For us, and I have to try to keep previous requirements seperate from newer ones now inplace.

2 basic kata

4 Heian, 1 Pinan kata

2 Tikki, 1 Nihanchi

Passi and one other kata{swear I cannot remember)

timed 2 mile run. 2 3min rounds each of push ups and set ups(1 of each before and after the run is how I think we're keeping it)

Preform all self defense techniques in a rote manner, with extensions.

Preform self defense spontainously against randoms attacks.

Demonstrate the basic throws and joint manipulations both seperately and as part of the spontainous self defense.

Use of Basic submissions, tack downs and take down defense.

Period of drilling the basics to demonstrate seperate technique,{an hours worth}

Several rounds of grappling. Stand up sparring and then full range rounds as well. Usually done at the end when everyone is good and...warmed up(tired) and lose(barely able to hold up their hands).

A period of teaching by one of the testing instructors was added into this mix as well to gauge ability to absorb and communicate techniques with each other. Last a couple of hours of throwing,getting thrown, twisting and hitting and getting hit.

Good fun day of work. The 1st Kyu and black belt tests were very close in set up. The content was about the same. The intensity and scope, as well as some new material, was required for the black belt though.

this sounds like a cool setup too, shorikid.. :) looks tough.

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

At a certain point it's about surviving and pushing through with will and spirit. There are enough short breaks to push through and give a chance to suck down some air. But, a lot of it means being in shape. The head instructor wants a ceratin level of physical ability and a lot of technical ability. So, the instructor we're with sets a high standard.

The standards are set by the dojo instructor, I got some imput as well. We based it off for what was requred from us, what we thought was needed, and the level of technical ability we felt a black belt should encompass. Just because the shodan isn't the be-all, end-all doesn't mean it shouldn't be a solid fighter and a good practitioner.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

At a certain point it's about surviving and pushing through with will and spirit. There are enough short breaks to push through and give a chance to suck down some air. But, a lot of it means being in shape. The head instructor wants a ceratin level of physical ability and a lot of technical ability. So, the instructor we're with sets a high standard.

The standards are set by the dojo instructor, I got some imput as well. We based it off for what was requred from us, what we thought was needed, and the level of technical ability we felt a black belt should encompass. Just because the shodan isn't the be-all, end-all doesn't mean it shouldn't be a solid fighter and a good practitioner.

Good points, and I agree.