• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Next Up for Kimbo: Shamrock

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=3553315

After months of speculation, EliteXC heavyweight Kimbo Slice has an opponent for his Oct. 4 date at the Bank Atlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla.

Slice, whose real name is Kevin Ferguson, will face veteran mixed martial artist Ken Shamrock. The fight will air on CBS.

There had been talk of Slice facing Brett Rogers. Tension between the two began on May 31 in Newark, N.J., where Rogers made disparaging remarks about Slice's performance against James Thompson.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Less than enthusiastic about this one.

Kimbo hasn't impressed me as much as his hype has, that's for sure. Noting agaisnt the guy, he's certany got tools, but the internet has really pushed this guy further along than it seems he's ready for IMO.

As for Shamrock, he was one of the greats for his time. You can't take away his accomplishments early on in the game and he deserves respect for that. But, he hasn't evolved along with the sport. His guard game is still very static, not fluid and active at all. Those are the guys winning from their back these day. He's just past his prime as a fighter, it happens to all of us. I think it'd be better for him to hang it up permanatly and let us remember the Shamrock of old.

Still, it's hard to walk away from competition when it's what you do. At that level it must be nearly impossible. But as far as excitement over th is match up, just not there for me.

I agree. I was hoping it was Frank Shamrock, but I imagine there is a bit of a weight disparity there.;)

Ken Shamrock is just doesn't have it anymore. I don't see this one getting out of the first round.